Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna know what other people think of Holmes. Personally, I can't stand him anymore used to watch his show now I can't stand the whole holier than thou attitude even his subs act like they can walk on water. I could do some amazing TV with his construction budget.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I get the feeling a ton of people don't like him because he is successful. Holding your head high and being extremely confident at your job is not a negative. Every good tradesman should act this way.

Besides he's on TV and has to act like a know it all. People watch it because of this.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Jealous. If any of us had a tv show everyone else would hate.

The show is produced and therefore is edited to make it interesting and attractive to viewers and thus advertisers.

I would suggest watching a few interviews of him. I also love his work getting more people interested in getting into the trades.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree he's good and I'm not jealous...at all he just comes off in a negative way to me. And to say I lack confidence because I started this thread is way off I know I do great work and if I had the budget I too would use psl studs and framing members and use spray foAm and totally rip out Hvac cause it's rusty etc...and no I won't watch a few interviews of him I've already gathered MY opinion

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree he's good and I'm not jealous...at all he just comes off in a negative way to me. And to say I lack confidence because I started this thread is way off I know I do great work and if I had the budget I too would use psl studs and framing members and use spray foAm and totally rip out Hvac cause it's rusty etc...and no I won't watch a few interviews of him I've already gathered MY opinion
Not directing my reply at you or anyone here. Just saying it general from some of the people I meet in person I got that impression.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I guess some are not interested in a well informed opinion. Judging him by the show alone is foolish. He does not edit it.

He also pays for much if the renovation on his own. His subs give discounts in exchange for advertising.

Let's not forget, regardless of how he comes off, he is still helping people, and off camera is promoting our industry.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I enjoy this old house and a lot of the stuff on DIY and hgtv putting tom silva in the same boat as Holmes idk about that, and as far as judging Holmes how'd u get ur opinion you know him he come over for dinner on Saturday nights and don't tell me he's a f'n saint and dips into his pocket for some if any of that unless u got his bank statement I'm calling BS

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
So how come on here, most guys/gals don't hate This Old House?

I mean Tom Silva and the guys are super successful and all.
Like I said editing and what the show producers want to portray. TOH was about transforming old homes into renovated beauties.

But to answer your question who was the host? Bob Villa you say? And guess what, a lot of BV haters on here.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I enjoy this old house and a lot of the stuff on DIY and hgtv putting tom silva in the same boat as Holmes idk about that, and as far as judging Holmes how'd u get ur opinion you know him he come over for dinner on Saturday nights and don't tell me he's a f'n saint and dips into his pocket for some if any of that unless u got his bank statement I'm calling BS
How about some punctuation and grammar?

And no I don't know him just give people a fair shot and have watched dozens of interviews and researched his work.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow got ourselves a keyboard cowboy, English professor, and the president of the Holmes fan club. After I typed all that (on an I phone) your best comeback is punctuation and grammar. Your that guy aren't you, there's one on every forum.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Wow got ourselves a keyboard cowboy, English professor, and the president of the Holmes fan club. After I typed all that (on an I phone) your best comeback is punctuation and grammar. Your that guy aren't you, there's one on every forum.
When they can't argue with facts they just resort to attacking any thing that they can find.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I'm with TNT on this. His show is all for entertainment but A LOT of people watch and pay attention to his show.

Whenever someone mentions Holmes I always say "yeah I watch it and it's unlimited what can be done when their is no budget".

People understand that these shows have no budget. They do show a lot of the bad things that happen when hiring incompetent contractors.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts