Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My old light duty compressor finally **** the bed, don't really wanna tote around the big gasser to do smaller stuff,anyways I figured I would consult with my ct friends for ideas. The new purchase will need to be oil less, run off of electricity, 3-6hp, 5 gallon tank?,and capable of running one or two framing guns. Basically I'm looking for easy mobility, ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

·
GC/carpenter
43,916 Posts
I would say Rol-Air too, however that's not going to work for you if you have to have oil less.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have been using the ridgid 2 part portable I don't know how well it will take hard use over time but it sure is handy

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The one that keeps acting up on me is a rigid twin stack. Problem I have had every winter is the damn check valve. Once I fire it up in the cold temps, everything on it gets warm, the condensation freezes and always gernades the check valve. It's a lousy design with a plastic washer in there that always cracks in cold temps, making it constantly calling for air to fill the tanks

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I recently bought a refurbished DeWalt D55146. Bought it from CPO outlets: http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-dewalt-d55146r-1-6-hp-4-5-gallon-oil-free-wheeled-portable-air-compressor/dewrd55146r,default,pd.html?start=2&q=reconditioned%20dewalt%20air%20compressor. It has 1.6 hp., 4.5 gallon tank, oiless, the tank pressure is 200 psi, it has wheels with an extendable handle. The specs say 83 lbs. I can load it pretty easy. I know it wheels easy. It has a very heavy cord. It is also alot quieter than I expected. I could run it inside a house with no problems. There are 2 quick connect on the front. For sheeting I had to wait on it to catch up, a couple times. I think sheeting is hard on compressors, as framing guns use alot of air. For roofing I have only had one gun going at a time, so far. It kept up with no problems. I didn't have a single nail stand proud.
Since the compressor kicks on at about 125 psi you don't have the last few nails shoot at low pressure and not sink.
It also has a good drain valve. I plan on ordering more drain valves and replacing the ones on my other compressors.
Rol-air is great and made in USA, I don't think they have an oiless though.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
If you think oil less will be better you may be in for a disappointment.

When the oil less get worked hard they just plain wear out. And fast.

I had two Hitachi twin tanks that just would not handle 2 roof guns. First one went back, I thought it was just a fluke. Second one was the same. Between the two I got about 5 months. And they weren't worked that hard.

I got the Dewalt mentioned above after I got the manager at the pro desk at Lowes to give me full credit against the second Hitachi even though it was beyond their standard return period.

I have had 4 of the Dewalt. I still have two. I worked them quite a bit harder than the Hitachi, but they cannot handle a demanding duty cycle for very long.

The bright spot on the Dewalt is the reserve tank pressure and the CFM output.

If you can overcome the freezing problem, a good oil bath compressor will serve you for many years of demanding duty cycle.

Your post says you are thinking about being able to run two framers.

If you are sheathing walls and roofs, that is high demand. When you have your compressor plugged in you don't want to think about holding back at the gun end. Just a warning if you go oil less.

BTW I still work one of the Dewalts and won't hold back. But I don't have any intention of going that way when it quits. Makita and Roll Air have a good following with their medium duty oil bath compressors.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Synthetic oil----I have the same problem with frozen compressors---so most of mine are oil less---and they do wear out quickly---

I have one portable oil bath compressor---it would just hum and pop the overload when cold---I changed to synthetic oil and the problem ended---just a thought---

·
Registered
15,267 Posts
I have been using one of those Dewalts above for about 4 years. I am very pleased with it and would buy another.
For some odd reason moisture must be getting into my regulator, the cold tempertures were causing a build up pressure and the safety to release. When it warms up its fine...like I said 4 years old.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I bought my DeWalt 6 years ago, last year I had to replace the check valve which cost 8 bucks. Been a great little machine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
makita mac5200.

great compressor. put synthetic winter weight oil in and you have no problems.
it started right up the other morning and it was -25 c here, so somewhere around -13f.
it has awesome output, im pretty sure its a very similar compressor to that rol air one mentioned about.
also pretty easy to move around with the wheels and handles.

·
pro
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys, I'm goin for the rolair,.I gotta buddy that sells them at his shop. I checked it out today, its right up my alley for the lightweight framing tasks. As for the rigid twin staker, it will be repaired once again, and live its life in my shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
charimon said:
I have been using the ridgid 2 part portable I don't know how well it will take hard use over time but it sure is handy
I have the rigid as well and if you aren't pulling of a 20 amp it wants to trip it's fuse from to much pull.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
rolair or makita mak2400

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm buying a new compressor before spring and I'm pretty sure it will be either a Makita MAC2400, a MAC5200, or a Rolair VT25BIG. I want it to have wheels, so if I get the MAC2400 I will be attaching it more or less permanently to a hand truck of some sort, which will negate any cost or weight savings. The only thing the 2400 really has that would make me choose it is that it's quiet. The other two flow a lot more air, and so I'm probably going to choose either the MAC5200 or the Rolair. I'd like to know anybody's thoughts to help me make my decision.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was very partial to the mac5200 until the other day when out of know where the crank and connecting seized solid for no good reason. Yes there was oil in it. To replace the parts will be at least $150, not worth it for a unit that is a couple years old.
Going to get the vt25big. Rol-air makes only compressors, but I'm pretty sure that the mac5200 is basically a rol-air. Price is the same and the output is basically the same.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts