Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Very Nice!

Is that a recessed tub in the master bath? Any framing pics of the tub install? Or a brief discription how it affected the space below?

My company did a step down shower before I started with them, I've done work there since and I was shown how they lowered the ceiling in the a garage. I like that feature.
This was a first for me, too--and a big departure from the original design. The orignal drawings for the bath were for a deck mounted tub with a curbed shower beside it--the glass for the shower stepping around the deck as is typical.

This bath was over crawl which made it fairly simple to frame for the sunken tub. Once the opening was headered into the floor, we built a platform for the tub that was essentially a mini-deck:

4"x4" posts set on footers and in concrete, with a 2x12 structure and 3/4" osb subfloor. We built the platform low enough to allow the tub to be set in a mortar bed for final leveling.

Here are some progress photos:

The shower drain was roughed-in before the switch to the curbless shower. It was later cut out and the floor was re-framed to receive the pan for that:

We used two different thicknesses of floor backer to level the porcelain and glass mosaic tile to one another.

Kerdi was applied to the walls and floor before tiling.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Chris - the stainless steel hood/range vent seems high from the actual range - or is that just the angle of the picture. I know the ones I have installed have a min/max requirement - not much flexibility there....

Not criticizing, just curious as I have had MANY request to raise the height of those type of vents...

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I like it, thanks for the pics!

I'm also curious if there were any safety concerns. Seems like someone could accidentally fall without a hand rail or curb.

I'm not breaking your horns....some-one slips on the wet floor or wanders around in the dark could get hurt.

WoooHoooo 600 posts :drink:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Chris - the stainless steel hood/range vent seems high from the actual range - or is that just the angle of the picture. I know the ones I have installed have a min/max requirement - not much flexibility there....

Not criticizing, just curious as I have had MANY request to raise the height of those type of vents...
It does look high in the photos. I believe it measures to 35" off the counter.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I like it, thanks for the pics!

I'm also curious if there were any safety concerns. Seems like someone could accidentally fall without a hand rail or curb.

I'm not breaking your horns....some-one slips on the wet floor or wanders around in the dark could get hurt.
It's definitely not an aging-in-place friendly bath tub.

I came in one morning at the end of the project (fortunately before the HO moved it) to find a mouse stuck in the bottom of it. :laughing:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
One of the owners is a photographer and took a lot of photos during the process (including a bunch of befores). Once I get my hands on them I was going to make a video of the process of each space.

I've always wanted to do that, but never had the discipline to take all the pics during the project.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
You deserve to feel proud of that one. :thumbsup:
I was just up there (Arden) doing some spa
and deck work on Delaware @ first of July.
As usual in that neighborhood, I got myself
all turned around, and if I didn't drive right
past you it would be the only house in the area
that I missed. :laughing:
Can't wait to see the exteriors, and figure out
which one it is.
Seems there are only a handful of moderns
in Arden.
More of them, and Bauhaus wannbees,
in the area south of the river it seems .

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
You deserve to feel proud of that one. :thumbsup:
I was just up there (Arden) doing some spa
and deck work on Delaware @ first of July.
As usual in that neighborhood, I got myself
all turned around, and if I didn't drive right
past you it would be the only house in the area
that I missed. :laughing:
Can't wait to see the exteriors, and figure out
which one it is.
Seems there are only a handful of moderns
in Arden.
More of them, and Bauhaus wannbees,
in the area south of the river it seems .
I'm sure you passed it... It's at 70th & Delaware. I'm working on another house right on 70th at Central. (Kitchen and Bath)

I know what you mean about getting turned around. Washington Blvd and Delaware split back and forth kinda strange from Arden Dr. to 71st.

The exteriors are cool but unfortunately the roof was jacked with--A previous owner added a hip roof over the original flat. I'll have to get up there and take some pics of that mess--some REALLY strange intersections and connections, especially at the chimney. :censored: Whomever did it needs to be horse-whipped.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
......... unfortunately the roof was jacked with--A previous owner added a hip roof over the original flat. I'll have to get up there and take some pics of that mess--some REALLY strange intersections and connections, especially at the chimney. :censored: Whomever did it needs to be horse-whipped.
I'm 90% sure I was nearly across the street. :laughing:
That description....
I remember one that made me say,
"WTF were they thinking?"

·
Banned
917 Posts
Exquisite work Chris, I checked out your website for the first time today. I like your design work, one of the other designers not so much, but remarkable work anyway.

It was neat looking over your site, dude you have it nailed to the wall. I have a new business partner (for the business end) and where youre at is where we're headed, in Tulsa OK. Website up and paperwork done within two weeks. :clap: Very cool to see where the bar is set at. :notworthy Of course I'll be looking to kick your ass. :laughing:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Exquisite work Chris, I checked out your website for the first time today. I like your design work, one of the other designers not so much, but remarkable work anyway.

It was neat looking over your site, dude you have it nailed to the wall. I have a new business partner (for the business end) and where you're at is where we're headed, in Tulsa OK. Website up and paperwork done within two weeks. :clap: Very cool to see where the bar is set at. :notworthy Of course I'll be looking to kick your ass. :laughing:
Thanks, I appreciate that a lot.

Good luck with the website in two weeks... It's taken me 5 years to get my site to where it's at--and it's still lacking some key elements. :laughing: Then again, I probably should have hired it out to being with. Back then I had more money than time so...

I've designed only a fraction of the projects in my portfolio. Most are by a designer I met many years ago--including this one.

Good luck and bring it on! :thumbup:

Any of you have an open invitation to call or drop in on me if you're ever in Indy--especially those of you coming to the Remodeling Show in October.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
917 Posts
Good luck with the website in two weeks... It's taken me 5 years to get my site to where it's at--and it's still lacking some key elements. :laughing: Then again, I probably should have hired it out to being with. Back then I had more money than time so...

I've designed only a fraction of the projects in my portfolio. Most are by a designer I met many years ago--including this one.

Good luck and bring it on! :thumbup:
Our site will suck compared to yours, gotta start somewhere though.

I like working with HO's on design and have had decent results with it though I am clueless on computer programs for it and cant draw for sh*t. I wave my hands around a lot and scribble on paper :laughing:. Partners wife is a designer (havent worked with her yet) so we are thinking heavy on the design end. We'll see what happens. Wont be the first time I crashed and burned.

Anyway it was an education to look over your site. Thanks for the freebee. :thumbup:

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Any of you have an open invitation to call or drop in on me if you're ever in Indy--especially those of you coming to the Remodeling Show in October.

:thumbsup:

Get my bed turned down for the 31.

Maybe get me a few different Blu-ray's, I like horror flicks.

In exchange, I will walk the dogs for you, or at least play fetch. You use a basketball for that?!?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Get my bed turned down for the 31.

Maybe get me a few different Blu-ray's, I like horror flicks.

In exchange, I will walk the dogs for you, or at least play fetch. You use a basketball for that?!?
You get the crate... they've both outgrown it:

:laughing:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts