Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Freakin' nice. Who designed it?

Andy.
The architectural and interior design was done by Matt Harris, MWHarris, LLC.

You'll find a lot of design credits to him in my portfolio.

www.mwharris.net

The house is located here in Indianapolis, in a neighborhood known as Arden.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stunning! The details are incredible! I love the "wall panel", I need to go find that thread you had on it!
What are the insets by the kitchen sink?
The stainless counter has a number of elements that are molded into the top:

A flatware and plate drying tray behind the sink, which has it's own drain. (You can remove the inserts and make it an ice bin for drinks.)
Bar compartments with lids.
An Electrolux cooktop is molded into the top and its controls are mounted into the edge.

The kitchen was actually a floor display at the Valcucine showroom in the Merchandise Mart, Chicago. We bought the entire kitchen, appliances and all, for about 1/3 of retail. There is a tiny euro refrigerator in the far right hand tall cabinet (you can barely see the ventilation holes in the stainless toe kick below it.) The only elements they wouldn't give us were the wall ovens--which weren't UL listed so we had to purchase those after the fact.

The dark cabinets in the kitchen, and all of the cabinets in the butler's pantry are actually Kraftmaid, believe it or not.

I went up to Chicago in January to supervise the disassembly and packing so it could be brought down to us in Indy. The end wall has a few hundred parts to it that go together in layers. I think I had it half done, and had to take it apart about 4 times before I was able to remember how everything was supposed to fit together. :censored: It was a fun project to work on, though.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This project took about 9 months to complete and I've already signed two other projects in the neighborhood from it.

Sub-contractors completed:

Most of the demolition
Plumbing and electrical rough-ins
HVAC--Installation of new ductwork and a zoned hybrid heating and cooling system
Insulation and drywall
Some of the electrical trim out
Interior and exterior painting
Audio, visual, and security
The stainless elements in the media room

Everything else was built and installed in-house and I'm very proud of the work we did here. I'll try and post some pictures of the exterior when I sort through the rest I had taken.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is some gorgeous work Chris. How long did it take? I love the panels, I'll have to try them out.
The whole house or just the modularArts wall?

The project as a whole was 9 months.

If I recall, I have about 120 man hours in the installation and finish of the wall... but that doesn't include painting. The outside corner and wrap into the butler's pantry added a lot to that. A simple wall could be done much faster.

I have a crate full of another pattern that I'm looking forward to using on another project.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Very Nice!

Is that a recessed tub in the master bath? Any framing pics of the tub install? Or a brief discription how it affected the space below?

My company did a step down shower before I started with them, I've done work there since and I was shown how they lowered the ceiling in the a garage. I like that feature.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts