Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you guys still using Microsoft XP?

With Microsoft ending it's support for XP in April, I guess it's time to upgrade. Just curious what everyone is doing and any thoughts or comments are welcome.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the only problem I see is the lack of support and security updates.

I am going to upgrade to windows 7. I guess I will upgrade office as well. I'm still using 2003.

What version of office do you use?

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I have windows 7 Pro, which can be used in XP mode and many XP programs will run on windows 7 without issues.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have XP pro now, so I will upgrade to windows 7 pro. I was planning on upgrading to office 2013 as well.

I'm not super tech savvy but get by. I have tons and tons of word documents and excel spreadsheets. So this may be a dumb question, but after I upgrade and open those documents, I assume that they will automatically upgrade to the new operating system, am I correct in this assumption?

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
I still use XP. I'll probably just isolate this system from the internet, and keep it the way it is, and use a tablet for internet stuff. I did that with my Win98 system, and that's still going. The issue is always installed software. I have some that's pretty pricey (way more than a very nice, new system), and I don't want to be forced to buy upgrades, do the install, configure everything, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I still have '98 on an old pentium 2 comp (no internet), & xp on my other. Wife has win 7 on hers.

I need a couple new laptops (me, & son) , & thought I'd do win 8.1 on those, but I'm slow to adjust to those kinds of changes. Maybe I'll just do 8.1 on his (more tech savy), & do 7.1 pro (xp mode) on mine. My office comp needs to have at least 7 for QBks 14.

Timely subject!;)

Joe

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I still use XP. I'll probably just isolate this system from the internet, and keep it the way it is, and use a tablet for internet stuff. I did that with my Win98 system, and that's still going. The issue is always installed software. I have some that's pretty pricey (way more than a very nice, new system), and I don't want to be forced to buy upgrades, do the install, configure everything, etc, etc, etc.
Same here. I have an isolated XP system for an older version of Softplan.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You know how you load programs on windows normally by pressing the little windows button on the bottom left of the screen. Well windows 8 button don't function like that. Its crap basically. There's a few company's online that let you return that button back to the type your used to.
With Win8 and 8.1 your best option is hotkeys. Windows+R is run and type what you want to run or Windows + Q to search apps, WIndows + C to bring up Charms menu, etc

8.1 is a little more friendly to legacy users and has a start button, but it doesn't have a typical start menu like you are used to. Use it for a week and you will get the hang of it.

XP will still have some life, but that would close quickly if third party browser support evaporates. IE is already at a standstill with XP, so its only a short matter of time where CHrome and Firefox will no longer support XP either.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have noticed a lot of trouble with IE lately!

I am leaning towards Microsoft 7 though. I see a lot of you guys mentioning 8. Can you tell me what your preferences are?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
With Win8 and 8.1 your best option is hotkeys. Windows+R is run and type what you want to run or Windows + Q to search apps, WIndows + C to bring up Charms menu, etc

8.1 is a little more friendly to legacy users and has a start button, but it doesn't have a typical start menu like you are used to. Use it for a week and you will get the hang of it.

XP will still have some life, but that would close quickly if third party browser support evaporates. IE is already at a standstill with XP, so its only a short matter of time where CHrome and Firefox will no longer support XP either.

Sod that. i run about 30 different programs and would never remember the keys lol

here's the one i use on windows 8

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
I'm still on XP, with no plans to upgrade until a gotta-have application refuses to run on it.

But I did just get the wife a new machine for Christmas; first time I ever bought one rather than building it. It came with Windows 8 pre-installed, so what the heck. Got it pretty well configured so she could use it (she's nerd-challenged), and then had to exchange it due to a hardware/BIOS issue. So I got to go through all of that twice. :rolleyes:

Win 8 (have yet to kick it up to 8.1) is okay as long as you stay away from the crappy "apps".

I tend to avoid add-ons that mess with the look and feel, simply because that adds another layer of troubleshooting if you're having problems with the OS or any of the software you want to run. Most developers won't support their product under such conditions, with good reason.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have noticed a lot of trouble with IE lately!

I am leaning towards Microsoft 7 though. I see a lot of you guys mentioning 8. Can you tell me what your preferences are?
Compatibility mode is key. A lot of sites have trouble rendering in native IE 11 mode. Add them to compatibility list and you should be fine. 11 is a solid move in terms of security, but that will require server side development to catch up as well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts