Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Does anyone here use MS Project to coordinate their activities?

I have a very small company (2 guys) which does about 30 small renovations per year. I do make good use of Excel but have recently been offered an unopened box of Project 2000 for a reasonable price.

Any advice out there? Is Project overkill for my level of activity?

pre-Thanks to any responders,
Sean

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Project 2000 would be just right for your activities I would think. What's the price? If you're buying new (for others) - you're better off spending $500 on SureTrak instead of $600 on MS Project. Essentially the same functions at $100 cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, it has been offered to me for $200. What I worry about more than the financial investment is the investment in time that may be required to get up to speed with an unfamiliar type of software. It's the same situation the current owner had; they bought it but never felt they had the time to dive in.

I think I'll make both investments, however. I've always believed in continuing education (and sleep is highly overated).

Thanks for the advice,
Sean

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found MS project very useful. I know you can load cost in it too, just don’t know how. Sure it’s not as good as Primavera but for our remodeling it’s enough. The schedules are very appealing and impress the client big time.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Project uses basic previous (predecessor) next (successor) activity logic. Similar, but not near as advanced as suretrak or p3, but still more than adequate for simple activity scheduling. For basic scheduling you should be able to master it very quickly - couple hours max.
Bring up the activity form and it's all right there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you gentlemen,

I did acquire the software and will start exploring it this weekend. I don't imagine it will remove all the hassles of maintaining a schedule, but any assistance in that arena will be a help.

Thanks again for the advice,
Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts