Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to frame a 24X24 garage roof to match the existing house roof extending the gable over the garage. Some moron put a 2.5/12 pitch on existing.

I'm thinking single 16" lam ridge with 2X6 rafters collar tied in about half way up with a 2X6 cord. This is my second thought because it hits the bare min. on local roof load.

First thought is 2X8 rafters, no collar, but that puts my weight so high I'll need to double up the lam.

Thought I'd throw this out there with the current collar discussion.

Bob

Update: Ah......I read my chart wrong......That will have to be a double:cheesygri

·
Registered
43 Posts
6 3/4

i actually had to cut a roof on an addition to match an existing 6 3/4 in 12 pitch.

also in norcal by code your collar ties typically have to snug right up against the bottom of the ridge.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
The building dept doesn't want you to put a min. 2' rip at the peak for you last sheet?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
I have to frame a 24X24 garage roof to match the existing house roof extending the gable over the garage. Some moron put a 2.5/12 pitch on existing.
Sounds like a modular home or mobile home roof. I've seen 24' scissors trusses with pitch's this shallow.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
No building dept in fayette county, however I did use clips.

Bob
We have to use clips and the 2' rip thing. Must be a WA thing as of this year I never did the 2' rip on the peak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts