Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
31,140 Posts
I'd call that a trailer. I guess that's what you have to do to avoid local regulations about minimum house size.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
A lot of campgrounds are using those rather than "trailers" as an upgrade.
Don't know if they're built any better, but it looks so. And at least they look more comfortable.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
I love this stuff.

A few years back I read The Not So Big House and thought there was some pretty cool stuff in it. I guess the author made an empire out of it. http://www.notsobighouse.com/
The original book and the follow up, Building The Not So Big House, I thought were pretty cool.

Anybody have any feelings about micro apartments? There's a controversial plan in the works in Jersey City for a developer to put in a condo building comprised of 87 micro-units. Average square footage being 250. The neighborhood residents aren't too thrilled with it because it's basically encouraging 20-something singles to move into what is currently a family area. I think it's also kind of an interesting concept though. I know other countries live much "smaller" than we do. Your apartment is really just a place to sleep, rather than spend your entire life.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
There are a fair amount of "micro" apartments and condos on the market in San Francisco right now. The cost of real estate there is apparently approaching that of Tokyo and a lot of younger people are opting for tiny living spaces, regardless of their ability to pay for something larger.

I am just about to assemble one of the units from this company:
http://www.studio-shed.com/index.php

My clients have a large backyard and a not so large house and wanted a "shed" that could double as an office space and sleeping quarters for guests. From what I have seen so far of this unit, it looks like it could be disassembled and moved without too much trouble, depending on how it goes together.

The steel shipping containers are also getting some traction these days.

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Awesome man. Post pics when it's done!

I really like the shed/work studio idea. I've always been pretty into writer's spaces. Most of my favorite authors had simple writing sheds that they'd spend their time in.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The wheels are to make it easy to move when you dont like your neighbours. :thumbup:
True enough. Also, depending on the local codes, putting it on wheels gets around the maximum square footage allowed for a permanent structure. Where I am, that's 100 sq. ft. You can build damn near anything anywhere on the property if it's less than 100 sq. But if you run electrical to it, it requires a permit and inspection.

I don't see vehicle registration on most of these wheeled rigs, so I don't know what the regs are on that. House trailer rules apply I guess.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
So, what's the fascination with these? The size, the portability, the "this ain't yer grandpa's airstream"?

There are people doing the full-time off-grid lifestyle in these things.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
So, what's the fascination with these? The size, the portability, the "this ain't yer grandpa's airstream"?

There are people doing the full-time off-grid lifestyle in these things.
Less house and more land is what I hear. Buy an acre or more and slap one of these fancy shantys on it and have little or no mortgage. Also, in some jurisdictions, there are exemptions for certain structures if they are inhabited by caregivers for the elderly or sick.
And a lot of baby boomer types are moving their aging parents into their houses and need a space to make up for the bedroom the old folks now occupy inside the main house.

Whatever the reasons, this small house thing is growing. Could be a decent niche.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Less house and more land is what I hear. Buy an acre or more and slap one of these fancy shantys on it and have little or no mortgage. Also, in some jurisdictions, there are exemptions for certain structures if they are inhabited by caregivers for the elderly or sick.
And a lot of baby boomer types are moving their aging parents into their houses and need a space to make up for the bedroom the old folks now occupy inside the main house.

Whatever the reasons, this small house thing is growing. Could be a decent niche.
The timeliness of this thread is a curious thing. I had it in my hed to start somthing similar. Been researchng cob, straw, adobe, daub, Tiny Houses, Off-Grid, etc. For the last couple months.

Lloyd Kahn has been doing small stuff for 40 years. He's the fellow still around from the days of The Whole Earth Catalog, and a darned fine carpy.

http://lloydkahn-ongoing.blogspot.com/

After the insanity of the 2000s, I'm wondering if people are serious about permanently going small. Of course, local zoning will have to change. There's a place in Texas though - whole danged community of off-griders/tiny house types. Same in Oregon and a couple other spots.

I don't think I could stand being in one any more, but there is definitely an interest, and I hope this thread has legs.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The timeliness of this thread is a curious thing. I had it in my hed to start somthing similar. Been researchng cob, straw, adobe, daub, Tiny Houses, Off-Grid, etc. For the last couple months.

Lloyd Kahn has been doing small stuff for 40 years. He's the fellow still around from the days of The Whole Earth Catalog, and a darned fine carpy.

http://lloydkahn-ongoing.blogspot.com/

After the insanity of the 2000s, I'm wondering if people are serious about permanently going small. Of course, local zoning will have to change. There's a place in Texas though - whole danged community of off-griders/tiny house types. Same in Oregon and a couple other spots.

I don't think I could stand being in one any more, but there is definitely an interest, and I hope this thread has legs.
Lowe's got on board selling "Katrina Cottages" as a kit in their Louisiana and Mississippi stores, touted as an alternative to FEMA trailers used after the hurricane. They have since discontinued them, but the movement is still ongoing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katrina_Cottage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_house_movement

For me, it would be about the land. If I could live in an area with a moderate climate, and had a steel storage building for my tools, along with a good chunk of land, I don't really care much about the size of the house. I live alone now with two dogs in a small rented house in Los Angeles.
If I had an acre or two to roam on and a good porch with a roof on it, screw it, I'd be set with a small house to sleep in and cook.
I've had the 2500 sq ft two story house with a pool when my kids were small. Too much maintenance and taxes.

One thing I am skeptical of is these compost toilets. So...you take a dump, pour in some sawdust or something, turn the churn crank and leave it in the hopper?? And it doesn't smell like a zookeeper's boot heel in a day or so?

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
One thing I am skeptical of is these compost toilets. So...you take a dump, pour in some sawdust or something, turn the churn crank and leave it in the hopper?? And it doesn't smell like a zookeeper's boot heel in a day or so?
Close enough. The system I'm familiar with separates pee from poo. You drag out the pee. Then there's the incinerator types, borrowed from the yacht and airline industry. Need lots of electricity.

I like better what we had when the folks first bought their farm when I was little - called an "outhouse" LOL! First thing that old place got was inside plumbing.

Up in De Tour, MI, in the U.P. still plenty of "Tiny Houses" and a lot of it is right on bedrock - so folks get creative with the waste part of living.

There are a gazillion options - just takes some researching is all. There are folks not too far from L.A. doing that lifestyle right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts