Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I got a letter from the State of Michigan telling me that in order to take the Builders Exam I have to bring my credit report current well I am behind on all my Bills due to this Economy. I need $30,000.00:eek: to bring all my creditors current then the State of Michigan will let me take the Builders Exam:rolleyes: Now if I keep working I will be Illegally working since All Contractors have to have a License now.:laughing: Screw Michigan

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear that you need 30k. My wife just raided my change jar so I'm a little short. :whistling

But seriously I got in just before the deadline when they changed it but the other guys that were taking the test was sweating the credit check, he had 2 bankruptcy's. We exchanged emails for future subbing and work and I was surprised to hear from him when he got it (licence) in the mail. Hopefully there still lenient for ya. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry to read that, Frank.

When I think of all of the homebuilders and contractors who operated for years with no issues, and then seeing the banks call their notes, even though they were current with no missed payments . . . . well, it looks to me as if the "good guys" will be left out with this credit check policy, and the public will be left with . . . . . the "other guys":shifty:

Another example of the law of unintended consequences . . . . . .

I don't know as I'd be too concerned with not having a license. The State and Jenny don't have enought re$ource$ to hire enough enforcers to chase down every unlicensed tradesman who is trying to feed his family and keep the lights and heat on . . . . waaaay too many unemployed blue collar types lookin' to pay bills in this state from what I'm seeing . . .

·
Dave from Macatawa
277 Posts
Frankawitz, this MI economy has shot my credit too. Got my license years ago and I will be sure to keep it current to avoid scrutiny.

It is getting very hard to think of a reason to stay in MI. Just found out today that the Promise Scholarship was cancelled a few weeks ago taking funds away from 100K college kids who qualified by their grades.

time to move?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Frankawitz,
I got my license in '06, before all the rules started changing.

I have to say my credit score went from an 796 to 530 in a month based on american express closing my acct. even though I've never missed a payment in 5 years.

I think the whole idea is so theres not a bunch of guys running around screwing people over in order to pay off all their debt. Problem with the rules like others have said is the people who try to get the license and can't because of the credit check, still have to feed their families, Granholm with another great idea.

Good luck gettin your bills paid off, maybe they'll start being more lieniant soon.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just curious, How does GM & Chrsyler get licenses to operate, etc., when they are soooo bankrupt?????

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know the thing that pisses me off, is I took the State of Michigan's Builders Exam back in 1998 and I passed both parts, I took and sent my app in and then it took the State 11 months and 3.5 weeks to get back the forms to send in to get my Builders License so I filled it out and mailed it in, then 3 weeks later I get a Letter from the Builders Division telling me I missed my anniversity date so I would not receive my Builders License :whistling
I told them "You know what take your MF License and stick it in your azz:censored: So now I took their Pre Licensure Classes that cost $750.00 then sent them my app with another $145.00 and then they tell me "oh you have BAD Credit so we can't give you a Builders License cause you are a Credit Risk" WTF!!! So what I should go to work at Mickey D's and pay off my 30K then get back to them.:w00t::shutup: I have to say as a Plaster Contractor there is no License, not required in this State. I have a A rating with the BBB yet I don't Qualify for a Builders License:eek:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got some good news got a call back from Onbudsman and she told me what I need to do, she was saying that with the Economy the Builders Division is looking at this so I have to send them a repply with what has happened, I hadn't fallin behind in my bills up intil May of this year. So I will send these forms back and see what happens. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts