Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I'm trying to decide between the MFT/3 or the Makita 1016 compound slider.

I have a 10" non-slider that gets the job done 98% of the time, and also have the TS 55 REQ (and a few other Festools).

We've got a couple jobs coming up where it would be really helpful to have an easy way to cut miters on wider material than a non-slider can do. With a nice stand for the Makita they're both about the same price, so that doesn't matter; I just can't decide which would be a better tool to have around.
We do a wide variety of carpentry related projects; framing, trim, cabinets, decks, porches, siding, etc.

Looking forward to everyones opinion!:thumbup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Metro M & L said:
I never use the mft to cut. Its great for assembly of cabinetry but the fence system is woobly as hell. I have a 10 cms and a 12 scms and use the 10 most of the time.
My fence is solid on mine. Not as solid as my kapex but more than solid enough to stay dead square.

But to the OP's question. You really want both. I have 3 of them in my trailer and my SCMS and they all serve a different purpose. I use one for larger material cut, one for assembly and random stuff and one for my kapex which as times also gets used for random stuff. I wouldn't compromise by buying one or the other as they both excel in different areas.

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
Agreed. I love my MFT for assembly and cutting long panels perfectly square for cabinets.

I like my SCMS for making shelving quickly. I've never found a SCMS that is as accurate as the MFT(haven't bought a kapex yet...it's on my list)but the MFT is slower than a miter saw.

Ideally you'd have both.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
i love my mft. Like said above, you really want both. figure out which one will be more useful right now and get that one. you have a miter saw, so maybe the mft will be better now and the scms next time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
For built-ins and cabinets, the MFT is awesome! I can batch out parts pretty quick, and they are dead-nuts square and cut to perfect length using the flag stop.

It just depends what you're priorities are. BC is right, If you can have both, do it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'd love to get both right now, but this winter was hard on the tools and equipment so that ate into the new tool budget.

How does the MFT/3 do on cutting long length material? Miters for a deck border, for example. Seems like that might get annoying since you'd have to move your material support when the fence angle moves. Maybe I'm missing something. I can think of dozens of uses for the MFT/3 on the average project though.

The biggest reason I can see for going with the SCMS right away is to be able to run two saws on a big trim job, eliminating the waiting line that can form with a 3-4 man crew. It would also increase versatility when the team is split up and both crews could use a miter saw on their job.

I think you're all right: get both! :clap: I bet I can find a good used SCMS that'll let both fit into the budget. Worst case the MFT will have to wait a few more weeks. When I rebuilt the trailer storage last fall I left a spot for an MFT, so I'd better fill that space up:thumbup:

·
Registered
13,835 Posts
In your case get the SCMS first. You can always draw a line and use the TS-55 and rail to cut what ever won't work on the SCMS.

In time you can get an MFT.

I use both of my MFT's a lot, for both cutting and assembly.

Yes, you do have to move the material support when cutting angles.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts