Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a plumbers merchants and have a warehouse.I want to build a mezzanine floor using 9" x 2" joists anchored to a wall with joist hangers and supported by a stud wall at the other end made from 4" x 2". the joist would be 16" apart with 22mm t&g chipboard on top. Does this sound strong enought?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Need much more info. Dimensions would help as would potential floor load. How is the exsisting wall constructed? Plan on scrapping the OSB if there is going to be supply storage.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Chris, would that resemble 2X10 joists, 2X4 for the wall and 16"OC? You may want to wait for more info such as span and a 2X4 ledger isn,t cutting it at all.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sorry Chris, it did go over my head.
For those of you that think that the hurricane debacle is over, think wrong. The more that I'm involved with it, the more that I think that this is going to last until '07 at best. Our Gov't is one big headache at best, Nathan won't let me say what I really think.
Right now I'm filling and filing form after form, checking in here in between 'enter' and smokes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most building inspectors for commercial renovations & buildings require metal studs or fire rated studs. The joist sizes are fine but the sub strate decking needs to be 5/8 preferably tongue & grove. Storage requires some strength especially when you have some weight.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Depending on the jurisdiction, the value of the work may trigger a sprinkler system refitted to the whole shebang. But do use type "x" one hour D/W on the underside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts