Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering heading down to Mexico to help some family out working on their house and church. I've never been there but I've heard horror stories. I know that you can purchase insurance for your vehicle I was wondering if anyone knew if I could insure my tools if I decide to go down there?

They have a few tools down there but I'm very particular about having everything setup perfect and get frustrated easily when they aren't. So I'm not really interested in going without all my stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said I haven't been before. I've only heard people talk and had always assumed they were getting a temporary policy through a separate company that specializes in it. I was hoping to find someone that has done it before.

I'm sure if it comes down to it I will call my agent. I really wanted to see if there was any sort of temporary insurance that I could purchase and have my relative pay it. I feel like it's high risk and I would rather they assume it. They could obviously pay the deductible but there are other repercussions to having to make a claim with my company such as higher rates and just having a mark on your record makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You may have to pay a duty on every item that you bring into Mexico---

Call the Mexican embassy---I would not recommend bringing your own tools--

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
A guy at my old job had family still down in Mexico, he would send them checks. He said it was to dangerous to go back, and his family couldn't come here because they take over his home. It's some crazy stuff down there, I'm all for helping people out doing mission work and what not but I do t think I'd even go down there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You didn't mention the time frame involved; if it is a couple of weeks, or a couple of months, or longer. Getting temporary coverage for a few weeks sometimes costs the same or even more then getting a policy for the full year. Insurance companies rate high if you go shopping for a short term policy because they think they are being "selected against", also called "adverse selection". Same like people who buy short-term hurricane coverage for the months of September and October instead of buying it for the whole year.

Re your relative buying the coverage; that's not possible. One of the key principles of insurance is that you cannot insure property that you do not own or have a financial interest in. You would have to buy the policy in your name if you own the tools; and then you can make a private family agreement for your relative to reimburse you the cost afterwards.

There's three ways to get coverage for property located outside your home country of USA (or Canada):

1. Your current insurer endorses the policy to amend the coverage territory to provide worldwide cover; or to expand the territory to include Mexico. This is likely the cheapest option if you already have a Tool Floater policy in place, but not all insurers have the ability to change their wordings this way. Insurers are under rules and guidelines from their reinsurers as to what they can and can't insure, so one underwriter can agree to cover tools in Mexico while another insurance company underwriter is prohibited from doing this.

2. If your current insurance company can't provide Mexico coverage, then your broker can set up a separate policy with an insurer who can. Many insurance companies are international so, for example, I can go to Allianz Canada and they coordinate with Allianz Mexico to write a Tool Floater Policy that covers your property while in Mexico. This will be more expensive because now we are talking about a new policy and not just an endorsement to an existing policy. There will be minimum premiums involved because of the extra work re coordinating between two underwriting departments in two different countries.

3. If your broker doesn't have access to an insurance company that has a Mexican counterpart, then they can network with a Mexican insurance broker. This is called sub-brokering. You still deal with your broker the same as with your regular insurance, and behind the scenes your broker contacts a Mexican broker who sets up the Tool Floater policy with a Mexican insurer. Sub-brokering will usually include broker fees from both ends, the Mexican broker and your own broker; but sometimes this method is cheaper than Option 2. If your broker has an ongoing networking relationship with the other broker, they will likely have a fee arrangement set up that is better priced. A broker who doesn't do alot of international placements and has to hunt for a one-time sub-broker deal won't have any leverage re asking for a discount on the sub-broker fee. Plus it will take them more time, so their own fee will likely be more too. Ask your broker if they already have a Mexican connection, or if this is something they have only done once or twice. The Mexican broker will have access to local insurers which are likely cheaper than having to go through larger international insurers as per Option 2 above.

The downside of sub-brokering to get a local Mexican policy is that there is no governmental protection if the Mexican insurer denies paying on a claim and you want to appeal or fight that decision. Both American and Canadian Departments of Financial Services (insurance ombudsman) can't and won't intervene if the insurer is an "off-shore" insurer, i.e. not a domestically registered and regulated insurer.

·
Owner/Worker
31 Posts
I'm with Sunkist. I've lived 10 miles from the Mexican border my whole life and still do. Spent summers down there, my grandad had a cabin on the beach. Great times. Now, you wouldn't catch me going down there, even with a guide. Too dangerous ******. They'll take your tools, truck etc. at one of the roadside blocks (the good guys). Not to mention the bad guys. The further down you go, the better it seems but you have to get thought the northern part first and that is where they prey on the gringos. It's a beautiful place with great people but, the risks outweigh the benefit. If you choose to go think it through very carefully and, adios! BE CAREFUL and don't travel alone. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
When in Rome,.... Been there, and did not notice the folks with the cordless tools. A lot of hammer and chisel work. Construction is a bit different down there (from what I saw). Not too much sheet rock, nor pex, or romex. There are Home Depot's there, in the bigger cities, but one can't just run down to the store for parts.

I don't think MX is that dangerous, provided you keep your nose clean, and stay away from the toughies. Mind your business, and be respectful, and one should be alright. Just don't make yourself a target.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much Astrix that was exactly what I was looking for. I would only be down there for a weekend maybe 4 days at the most. I was planning on getting the policy and having them reimburse.

The work is mostly for my future father in law he had a stoke and needs some repairs done on his house mostly framing. I am not very religious I happen to believe my relationship with god is no one else's business. His daughter(aunt in law?) met her husband while on mission there he does not speak English. Family is white. They say it's a small town and don't have problems and also say they have a garage I can park the truck in I was planning on staying at a resort though.

Based on what everyone has to say this whole thing sounds like more of a headache than it's worth. Maybe I'll just send money or something!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If sending money is an option for you, I would go for that. Not for safety reasons but economical reasons. Taking your time into account, plus what you would spend on insurance and resort bills, you could probably hire someone qualified and ready for work in that area. Hiring a local is good for the economy and probably looks favorable to the neighbors as well.

I've done a lot of [humanitarian] work in Bolivia where it's never cheaper to do something myself. Don't know if Mexico is like that or not.

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
The work is mostly for my future father in law he had a stoke and needs some repairs done on his house...
If this is your fiancee's dad I would travel to do the work personally, economics aside. If they are anything like the Mexicans I know you probably should plan on not staying in a resort either.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
you must be nucking futs !!!!!!, your life is worth zero in that place, the cartels hire 12 year old to kill, i know mexicans that will not go see family because they are scared of getting killed, help a local family.
This is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. I too have family in Mexico, and while certain places are more dangerous than others, the wife and I visit Mexico once a year and have a blast every time. I have never not felt safe. The people are warm and welcoming.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,792 Posts
Stay on main roads, don't drive at night, keep your eyes open and don't put yourself in compromising situations and you should be okay. Even if you don't do any of the above you'll probably be okay but a little precaution is not a bad idea.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,269 Posts
If you were looking at murders per capita, maybe. Generally speaking, people do not get randomly murdered. Usually, somebody did something that they should not have done, or there is some underlying reason.
Yeah, he who gets murdered in DC had it coming. Is this what your saying?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you want to put like that, for the most part, probably. Obviously, I haven't taken any time to investigate any specific murder cases, but usually after, some type of digging for information, the victim did something.

You made the blanket statement, Implying that both MX and DC are war zones. It is very rare that a visitor, gets killed in either location.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts