Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
My first thought too Alek...lol. Around here I don't think we have pavers that aren't Mexican.

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
TimWieneke said:
My first thought too Alek...lol. Around here I don't think we have pavers that aren't Mexican.

Tim

I had an Irish paver do my driveway. There might have been Mexicans working for him, though. I remember vaguely some joke about not slicing them too thin or something like that as well.

Seriously, though, what exactly is it that you are looking to do? If I understand correctly, you want to use thinset to set pavers over concrete. I am only guessing here, but I would think that you might end up with problems because concrete would not give enough under the weight of a car, and this could cause cracked pavers, depending on their thickness.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mexican pavers are basically ordinary clay tiles made in Mexico. They have a more adobe type look and feel to them and change in appearance over time when installed outdoors. They are a high end product but installation is almost identical to porcelain and ceramic. I would not use them on a driveway that you plan on doing donuts on because they are only clay pavers and are brittle. Not only that, but they also give off alot of eflorecence and you have to be sure absolutely no moisture gets under the tile and you must seal and polish the surface. Mexican pavers need a little more maintenance as they need to be coated every six months to a year with polish or sealant. The bottom line is, if you have the money and like the rustic look then go for it.

Rob Santana

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh, and by the way. Those of you who find it hilarious to make racist jokes on this forum are really showing your ignorance and general stupidity.

If you can't answer a simple question without racist crap then please don't answer it at all.

Robert F. Santana

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Sorry EIFS, didn't mean to offend anyone.

If every one whould excuse me for awhile, I need to go put some american cheese on my sandwich.........pretty cheesey ah?

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are going to be two problems with Mexican pavers. First, when they are wet, they are slippery as ice. Right there I would say no way. Second, depending on the batch and where they came out of, some Mexican pavers last forever, just a little sun fade and thats it. Others, you are lucky if you get two years out of them wiothout decomposing and peeling apart.

I would never do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i thought the jokes were in very poor taste, and i think you just about got all the nationalities, but they were kinda funny,lol i really think you should have included the french somehow though. adhem.. on topic - i would think ice would play havoc on them. what state do you live in?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Personally i'm sick and tired of all of this politically correct stuff.
Santana, get over it. I believe that I also saw mention of Irish, Polacks and Asians in the thread and I believe that all was in jest, ethnic jokes are part of every society. Ever hear of the guy from Borneo that passed his brother in the forest?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
French military rifle for sale:
MAS 1936 7.5mm bolt-action rifle. WWII Vintage. Must Sell! Serious inqueries only. $800 or best offer.
Excellent condition, never been fired, only dropped once.

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
--Norman Schwartzkopf

"It's so nice to be collaborating with the Germans again,"
-- French Prime Minister Jacques Chirac

Why does the French Flag have Velcro?
So the blue and red sections are easily removed during a time of war

Q: Did you hear about the new French tanks?
A: They have 5 gears...4 in reverse, and one forward gear just in case they're attacked from behind!

·
Registered
89 Posts
that made me laugh out loud :cheesygri and yeah while i certanly respect my brothers from another mother i reserve the right to laugh at our differences. and the french man, lol they got it coming. i do love there fries though. besides everyone know american are bunch of john wayne , gun tote'n a**holes .........that saved europe and isral and iroc and poland and russia and bailed out mexico and asia and france and kuwait and poland and.... well youknow like everybodythankyouverymuchusa.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Santana/Marx,
As an fyi - I don't know if you took what I said as a racist joke or not. I'll assume you didn't and that you know what I'm talking about - the Mexican/Hispanic community has really done a bang-up job in construction entrepeneurship. I've heard it said among contractors that the Hispanic guys have a work ethic that everyone else used to have. Lets face it - in construction certain groups of people just get more respect for their reputation of busting some tail, not because it's politically correct to do so.

Tim

·
Registered
206 Posts
Santana,

You are correct to make any statement you wish. That is what America is all about. I find it odd someone comes back at you some 8 days later and says they are tired of politically correct statements. I am tired of some of that CRAP too.

But you know what.......... Welcome to America. It is your right to express your opinion. That is what makes this a great country. Even if George Bush is running it into the moral sewer ground that he is. What a Liar.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
pondman said:
Even if George Bush is running it into the moral sewer ground that he is. What a Liar.
:cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri
That explains so much, now I understand where everything is coming from...
:cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Registered
206 Posts
I won my bet. I knew you would be the 1st. Was it you that quoted Reagan?

Verify Verify!!! I guess "W" verified those WMD didn't he. And I love his quote,

"We have won the war", oh really George? :cheesygri

1 - 20 of 62 Posts