Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the web for an answer to this question, but have yet to find it! What does the NEC say is the maximum distance from the meter to the main panel (assuming the main breaker is in the panel, not at themeter)? Thanks in advnace!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the link, it was very interesting! (I am the original poster - I have since determined that this is probably a worthwhile place to become a registered user!)

Unfortunately, all I was able to find was this (generic) statement:

The disconnecting means shall be nearest the point of entrance
of the service conductors at a readily accessible location either inside
or outside of the building.​

Do you know of anything more specific?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ducttapeguy said:
Thanks for the link, it was very interesting! (I am the original poster - I have since determined that this is probably a worthwhile place to become a registered user!)

Unfortunately, all I was able to find was this (generic) statement:

The disconnecting means shall be nearest the point of entrance
of the service conductors at a readily accessible location either inside
or outside of the building.​

Do you know of anything more specific?
ask your local electrical inspector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i try not to go more than 6' in your case if u do you need a dissconect by the meter
there are a few places a panel could be installed anyway grage, outside. bedroom wall, living wall and who wants it on interior wall best location utility. grage

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
The best thing to do is ask the local inspector. In my neck of the woods, all new contruction and udated electrical srevices require an outside disconnect at the meter, so I don't have to worry about the distance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Distance

I have just been refreshed that the meter has to be within 2 meters or roughly 6' of the panel. The reason is that the conductors could become a potential fire hazard.

Now if the distance between the meter and panel is greater than as mentioned, a fusible disconnect has to installed within 6' of the meter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, Ream! (Hope your 'refresher' wasn't in the form of a failed inspection!) It seems that the consensus is 6 feet, so that's what I'll go with. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The National Electrical code has not addressed this issue in the 2002 code. However just about all AHJ (authourity having jurisdiction) be it the power company or the city/county Electrical inspector follow the 6' rule . The AHJ can add or take away from the code. If the nec listed the 6' rule , and the local inspector said 2' , then you have to install it at 2' never mind pulling out the nec and showing him because the AHJ can add to or take away from the code , so check with your electrical inspector as to the distance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts