Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody charge extra on a vinyl replacement job if the existng windows are metal? I have to charge extra for it and the charge is supposed to be for the added labor in removing the metal window + installing new exterior and interior stops. Im skeptical about this being a necessary charge. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Paul, do you work for Home Depot At Home Services? Everything you tell me constantly reminds me of them..

Ok yes, in SOME cases you do have to charge extra to prep the opening but truthfully it matters what type of metal window is currently installed. I have told my window salesman to always charge extra because that was alot easier for me to do than show him then hundred of metal windows and tell him this one is ok but that one is not.

However when I bid a window and it's currently metal I can determine if the added cost is necessary or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, do you work for Home Depot At Home Services? Everything you tell me constantly reminds me of them..
Yes I do...

...and I suppose they just tell me the same thing you tell your salespeople. Rather than showing me on a case by case basis which need it and which dont they just tell me to charge everyone.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
The bad ones are the medal flange type under brick. If the original builder did his job those lttle 'Bass turds' can cause you some grief.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Paul, Yeah everything you kept telling me kept reminding me of At Home Services. I don't plan to keep my salesman in the ark forever. I just dont want to throw too much at him at once. He's learning little by little.

Glass when that's the case, metal behind brick, a sawzall works fine. Cut the flange and leave it where it is. Build out a "buck frame" and install the new window. You have to retrim the interior anytime you build out a buck frame, and you lose a few inches to your window size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts