Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Long time lurker who signed up to post this question. You guys are great.

So i am building a 30x90 metal building for a company warehouse and offices. It will be 24 feet tall. I currently am working with general steel. I have never constructed a metal building so I am opting to have them do the erection as well. The building is about 41,000 with erection costing around 15,000. The 30x90 slab looks like it is going to come in around 28000. The mezzanine we would build in house but im not sure exactly how i would go about it, wood? steel? This entire process is going very fast because I want to get my construction loan in before the end of the quarter. I just want to make sure im not screwing up :) have any of you ever worked with general steel? What are yalls thoughts on constructing the mezzanine? Does the slab price seem fair? I would love any and all advice you guys can give me.

Background.

I own a small company in new orleans. I work with investors constructing spec homes. I also do high end kitchens and baths. I have 7 employees, 3 company trucks, and 1 assistant. I want to keep growing so that is why I decided to build this warehouse. It will allow proper storage of all the equipment and it will allow us to start making cabinets. The upstairs I would probably rent out for the first couple years just to cover cost. The building will cost around 175,000

Lets discuss!!!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Never worked with general steel but I would shop aroung for a couple of other prices, in our area we could do post frame for a lot less including erection. Slab price does seem high at $15 $ + a square foot, how thick is it and does it have thickened edges?

As for renting out the upstairs, if it does not have an elevator for access, you would be outside of the disability code. You will also need fire seperations for separate occupancies. The mezanine
construction may be determined by the occupancy and whether you want colums below. If you dont want columns, steel is about your only option unless you get really deep wood trusses space closely.

What is the hurry on financing, take your time and do the homework, you will save more doing that over a small interest change.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
This is a pre-engineering metal building (PEMB) correct?

Assuming so, typically any mezzanine I've ever seen in these are built out of bar joists and metal deck with steel beams and columns supporting it. Metal pan stairs to get up their with a 3 pipe or similar steel railing at the perimeter.

Slab price seems reasonable at around $5/sf (assuming 5" or 6").

PEMB costs seems low unless that's just the structure and not the roofing and siding also. I would have guessed $16-22/sf with standing seam metal roof and metal siding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Qcci do you have another steel company you could reccomend?

Slowsol that PEMB cost is for eveything.

·
Registered
649 Posts
elbert said:
Qcci do you have another steel company you could reccomend? Slowsol that PEMB cost is for eveything.
Just make sure they are a member of the MBMA. Honestly you should get with a reputable metal building contractor who has an affiliation with a metal building manufacturer that is a member of the MBMA. A metal building contractor is going to know the ins and outs of PEMB's. I would recommend a trapezoidal standing seam roof and a shadow panel exterior wall. Unless you need some other exterior to meet code or just for aesthetics.

The company you mentioned is not a manufacturer and they have tons of lawsuits all over the United States. They even changed there name to Anthem Steel in some states, because of all the law suits.

I sell American Buildings, they have 4 plants, one is in Alabama. But I have also sold Star Buildings and Alliance. We have erected most others.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
We sell and install Varco Pruden buildings. Not sure what part of the country you're in, but they may be a local option as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
elbert said:
I'm in new orleans if anyone knows a local company here.
I think CECO has a plant in Mississippi. Your best bet, in my opinion, really is to talk to a local metal building contractor/erector. I would advise to stay away from any internet companies. They are only brokers even though they say they are the mfg, they're not. Most, if not all, metal building mfg's sell threw authorized builders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts