Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can metal roofing ever be installed without using a transition flashing between the two different pitches and shouldn't the lower piece of roofing material be attached under the upper piece, with or without the transition flashing? I have seen the upper piece of roofing material under the lower piece. Seems like water would run right under where these two pieces meet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can metal roofing ever be installed without using a transition flashing between the two different pitches and shouldn't the lower piece of roofing material be attached under the upper piece, with or without the transition flashing? I have seen the upper piece of roofing material under the lower piece. Seems like water would run right under where these two pieces meet.
wow! :clap:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Metal Roofing

Um, I know people can be ignorant and/or non-observant but normally you don't just slap a metal roof on without some forethought. Metal Roofing isn't cheap. I hope that isn't your home or business...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

aegisroofing :I don't think they installed my metal roof improperly. I haven't been able to get up there to look at it. It appears from the ground that the bottom panel is on top of the top panel (the one with a pitch) I don' think these guys (Amish) would install these panels improperly. This is rental property but I still expect it to be done right.

·
Registered
318 Posts
aegisroofing :I don't think they installed my metal roof improperly.. It appears from the ground that the bottom panel is on top of the top panel (the one with a pitch.
If the bottom panel is on top of the top panel then it it most definitely installed wrong. Post some pics so we can see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Window Daylighting Glass Building insulation Architecture
We lay the seam down so that it can be made to lock the skylight flashing to it. It's an easier approach than what would have to be done on a low pitch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Roof Concrete Floor Daylighting Road surface
Lower pitch skylight fully double lock seamed on every connection. Where seams meet other seams (such as at the hip or valley) they get laid down and seamed in. Also need to lay seams down to allow water to flow off the roof.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll just take a guess :laughing:
So water doesn't get in them.
No sh*t:laughing:, I've just always did it different .
I spend the time to slice the top sides and fold the sides in , then use the top piece to cap over. The seam looks continuous :thumbsup:
Not digging the smashed seam:no:

Everyone does it different I guess. The transition looks beautiful thou.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The seam is smashed flat and then folded so the the curb flashing can be hooked into it. 100% water proof for a hundred years, no sealant needed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts