Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I'll have to disagree. 1-1/2" hail will dent steel fascia's that are on a 2x6 subfascia. Not as easy as aluminum, but it will.

I'll agree with not depending on exposed fasteners on a steel roof over a home.

I believe we all know how steel moves around with heat and cold. Just listen when the sun comes out standing by a house with steel siding.

Not a chance I would install steel directly to a roof deck. I've seen it rot out the roof deck and rust an entire steel panel ceiling in a building.

I'm not a fan of installing an air exchanger in an attic just for a steel roof which is in no way superior to a shingled roof.
Down my way, standing seam roofs routinely go 100 years. Without air exchangers....

Show me a shingle that does half that....routinely.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My opinion is that high quality, properly installed mechanically seamed standing seam roof is far superior to any asphalt shingle roof. Not only on performance but longevity as well. You will pay substantially more up front, but will last ten times as long or more.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MJW said:
I believe some of the big names.......Marvin had problems with their aluminum clad windows and so did Kolbe&Kolbe.
There may be others. Search the forum.
If they have not stopped making them, they should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP0o9do4eSc
What kind of windows are in basically every commercial building? School hospital shopping center hotel Aluminum/ steel frame windows. And The few high quality wood window companies out there clad there exteriors with aluminum

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I thought we were talking about houses. You know, the spaces where people live, eat, lay their head at night....

Apples to apples now fellas.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MJW said:
Funny how I have read the exact opposite, especially near the coasts. Steel and salt don't go together well.
Galvalume would fair pretty well except for the cut edges or you would use aluminum

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MJW said:
Anyone have an answer for this? Pics would be great!
Yes asphalt is stripped off 6' of high temp ice and water plus titanium 30 and the panels go down over that.

Reactions: MJW

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MJW said:
Is that fastened to just the 1/2" sheathing?
If its new construction. But more often than not its 3/4 or better sheathing. All the panels are locked to each other and the drip edge so wind uplift is not a concern. The only time i have seen uplift be an issue is with some solar companies that add extra anchors or specify blocking in certain areas because you can get uplift on a solar panel

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Anyone have an answer for this? Pics would be great!
I thought I did already. We build new homes, and with 5/8 decking, we will lay steel directly to the deck, synthetic underlayment, sometimes we use a foil back insulating product, and the results, in this area, are far better then shingles. If you don't like metal, great. It is America. If you want to knock insurance costs down and not face roof replacement every few years, do a metal panel.

We have a new home in Renfrow, Oklahoma, that the crew will do standing seam snap panel on next week...directly to the deck. I will try to post some pictures for you.

I have been doing this for a lot of years...I get the idea some of you think we pull these ideas out of our asses, but it ain't so. :thumbsup: I don't have roof failures, or leaks, or hail destruction. Now, hail can dent a roof, but around here, the roof does not get replaced unless it is damaged to the point of leaking, and appearance is the trade off with cutting insurance by 25% or more. Another clue.....on older homes, or where there is one layer of shingles, the metal will go down directly on the shingles, no tear off....and I am sure the blood will shoot out of your eyes, but I have yet to see one of these "overlay" roofs fail, or leak, or even look any worse then any other average metal roof. Granted, these ain't high dollar homes, but for sure, there is a growing segment of the population that cannot afford $300 a square shingles and total replacement costs of $5 a sq/ft.

What many people seem to ignore is the work out there on homes that are not on country club drive and these people need the best roof they can afford without breaking them, or making a second mortgage necessary.

When I started doing metal roofs 15 years ago or more, I heard it all...barn roofs on houses, looks like crap, hail will beat holes in it...etc., etc., etc....I heard it all. You rarely saw a house roof in this are that was metal....and then, 19 years later, they are not only common, but outside of neighborhoods with strict covenants, they are very common the further west you travel towards the Texas Panhandle. People do care what their homes look like....but they have to be able to afford to live there as well. Architectural shingles are great....but these people cannot afford them, or the premiums in insurance for replacement costs of roofs like this.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Location must be a very big factor.

All the metal we have replaced had simple dents and it made the place look terrible. Insurance never used to pay for cosmetic damage, but they do now. Especially if the HO has a high premium.

All of these roofs will be replaced eventually. I just don't agree that steel is a superior alternative, especially here.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts