Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a metal roof on a building that was put together improperly years ago. The panels are overlapped OK, but some of the screws were installed in the drip valley were the panels overlap. Consequently I am getting some leaking during heavy rains.

Is there some sort of adhesive available that will seal the panel joints but remain pliable over time to allow for the expansion and contraction of the metal roof? If so, I would love some information (Manufacturer, product name, supplier).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The leaks aren't coming from where the neoprene screw washer contacts the outside panel. In heavy rains, the water running off the roof will migrate up and over the rib of the underlapping panel. There is a designed runoff groove between that rib and another rib just inside of it that is supposed to take any migrating water and run it out the bottom. My problem is that the screw is supposed to be installed on the top side of the inner rib, but in some cases it was installed in the runoff valley instead. The screw seals the top roofing panel, but in real heavy rains the water migrates into the space between the panels, and finds the screw hole in the lower panel valley where there is no neoprene washer.

what I would like to do is seal the outer ridge completely to prevent the water from migrating in the first place. I was hoping for a flexible sealant that would come in a tube so that it could be applied with a caulking gun on just the ridge where the panels first overlap.

Thanks for the link to henry site. That's the type of material I'm looking for, just hoping to find it in a caulk tube for ease of installation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts