Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that wants to do a standing seam metal roof on their project. This is a first for me. There are no roofers in the area that do them. The roof is only 16 square and the runs are around 18'. Very simple roof. No valleys. What would be the range for a job like this? It is in New Hamshire.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
In Oklahoma, the install would be $175 and up a sq. depending on prep work, plus the metal roof. There are several styles of standing seam and I wouldn't price one without knowing what exactly we would be installing.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
AaronB. said:
175 for the installation labor ? I dont know how you guys make a living. The z closures alone can take a few days for one man.
Because Aaron, I pay hack wages and do hack work without insurance and benifits....:clap:

I said I would want to know exactly what style we would be installing. Not all are alike, and not all take a lot of time. I worked for BC Steel in Oklahoma city when they were developing their own standing seam panelized roof...and it DID NOT have "z closures". Trimming it took less time the "horse barn" roofs ( 9 inch low rib classic panel roofing). Off the cuff, I can think of more then a dozen different styles of SS and probably twice as many ways to trim and seal.

MBCI had an 8 inch panel that would be labor intensive, so it would be way more. There are mechanical seamed panels from 18 to 48 inches wide that would be way more and then some. And then you have a snap lock panel that is 18 or 24 inches wide and if the clips are set correctly, it goes on fast. And that is just a few I have worked with.

I know Aaron you are in a higher market then I am, gladly pay your share of WC and then some, and have a higher tax rate then I do, but again, it goes to market. We make good money doing what we do, and if I ever priced my work like you guys in the higher markets do, I would have all kinds of time to b!tch and complain and hang out because we would not be working.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
dcl said:
I have a client that wants to do a standing seam metal roof on their project. This is a first for me. There are no roofers in the area that do them. The roof is only 16 square and the runs are around 18'. Very simple roof. No valleys. What would be the range for a job like this? It is in New Hamshire.
I had to re-read this after Aron and Grumpy's post and I wonder if we are even talking about the same thing? :w00t:

I checked my price from a supplier on 26 gauge, 18 inch panel, standing seam (clip attachment) and the sq/ft price is .86 + hardware and trim....so with all the stuff....$150 a sqare. Now let me get this straight...you guys would hit that at $12 a square foot to install? I think I will sell out here and move up there....:rolleyes:

I don't do copper, so I would defer to you guys on that one....but the premium metal roofing installed around here is the stone coated steel panel roofing and it goes for an installed price of $9 - $11 a sq/ft....and they don't sell many of them here. I did not get a church roof I bid on a few months ago, and this week of killer temps, a crew came in and installed a brand I had never seen before and did it for $450 a sq, installed. Our price for the classic panel on the roof, installed was $175 (yes guys, metal and labor), and I would have made some bucks.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Who's bitching?

Who's complaining?

Who's not working?

I can do the R panel for about 5 bucks a foot, but will not unless its on a horse barn or something else nobody cares to look at. :clap:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Like I said, many styles of standing seam out there. Aaron and I have a standing disagreement on what he thinks looks acceptable (see my posts with pictures ) of homes with vertical panel roofing. And Aaron, read carefully.....classic panel profile, ribs 3/4 high with 9 inch centers is not the commercial profile "R"panel. If no one cared, why should you? You obviously have plenty of high dollar work, and I have plenty of work..so that is the word.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The carpenters around here are getting at least $350 for the
pro panel 29 gauge SMP finished metal, on 2x4 wood purlins, on just regular sheds
I am pricing up the pro panel now for a home to go over asbetos shingles. Underlayment, 1x4s, 29 and 26 gauge.
I,m thinking $550 to $650. 26 gauge panel cost is about $1.20

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
The cost for 25 year and 30 year 26 gauge metal, UL class 3 impact rated, insurance approved, is $78 to $84 a square. I buy direct from a building manufacturer and I would guess if you went through any supplier that does not roll the panels on site, you would pay quite a bit more.

I have a lot of competition in metal roofing now, since it has become very popular in this region, and prices for installs are coming down. Since we do a wide variety of work, I don't follow the drop down...we quote our rate and get about half the roofs we bid on, when before, we were the only ones in the area, and got nearly all of them, unless they stayed with comps for price or looks.

A recent job we did was a straight gabled roof, 26 squares total, and the install labor with trim ran $3000. The roof materials were in at $2800 or so. The job took just less then 20 hours, or $150 an hour for a crew of 2 guys. I think my expenses, wages, and profit is well covered. If I used the rate others charge for other areas, I would get $520 an hour...hmmmmmmm. Sounds a little pricey to me, but if others get it, who am I to say if it is a good deal?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
joasis, let me start out...I respect you and your methods.

You know I am going to disagree with you, but not for the purpose of being in disagreement.

Everything I do is in 24 ga. pac clad or copper. An occasional aluminum roof, also.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Me too Aaron..I hadn't seen you shoot back for a few days and hoped you hadn't fallen off a roof.

The best thing about forums is sharing the information of our trades. One of the greatest lessons I have learned, and many others will agree, is the vast differences in region and pricing, and additionally, the materials and styles in the areas. I can say I have learned a great deal just reading what others do and have gained a lot of resourse information for many new products.

One of the things to note keeping in mind where we are, region wise, is the things we do differently, such as "ice shields" and a lot of the things you do on roofs up north, we wouldn't have a clue what it is, let alone how to put it on....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I doubt very much that even with areas having different going rates we are still not talking the same installs for such a big difference in price.
More then likely the job for $200 or so a sq. is just being laid right over the shingles.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Tear off is still an extra charge. I know there are many who will dis-agree, but we will install over 1 layer (one layer) of comps if they are laying flat. The insurance companies in this area allow it, lots of HO's prefer it for the "illusion" of making the roof "quieter", and is a holdover to the days of laying comps over comps. When I sign off on an install for the insurance companies, which gets the HO a 20%-30% discount yearly in this region, they specify grade and gauge of steel, and inspect the work.

I personally prefer a tear-off down to deck, and felt or tri flex installed, then steel. But I have to admit, one advantage of overlaying a comp roof is not sweating a storm coming up in the middle of a roofing job.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
There is nothing like a spring storm in Oklahoma with gusts running 80 mph to make a well prepared roofer cringe. We have had probelms 2 times out of close to 200 roofs in the last few years, and both were the result of the addage, if you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, wait 5 minutes, it will get worse.

The safest way to treat all roofing replacement is to never, ever leave a roof at the end of the day without presuming it will rain 10 inches and blow like a hurricane.

One issue that will make roofing replacement get expensive in the coming years will be disposal. We pay $225 for a 30 yard roll off now and $21 a ton over 5 tons. If we use the dump truck, it is a flat $100 a load at our local dump, and we may not be able to unload shingles there next year. I can't imagine how it would be for those working in areas where disposal is really high. My '78 International scissor lift/dump bed truck came from New Hampshire, and I got it as a result of a roofing company quitting business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because Aaron, I pay hack wages and do hack work without insurance and benifits....👏

I said I would want to know exactly what style we would be installing. Not all are alike, and not all take a lot of time. I worked for BC Steel in Oklahoma city when they were developing their own standing seam panelized roof...and it DID NOT have "z closures". Trimming it took less time the "horse barn" roofs ( 9 inch low rib classic panel roofing). Off the cuff, I can think of more then a dozen different styles of SS and probably twice as many ways to trim and seal.

MBCI had an 8 inch panel that would be labor intensive, so it would be way more. There are mechanical seamed panels from 18 to 48 inches wide that would be way more and then some. And then you have a snap lock panel that is 18 or 24 inches wide and if the clips are set correctly, it goes on fast. And that is just a few I have worked with.

I know Aaron you are in a higher market then I am, gladly pay your share of WC and then some, and have a higher tax rate northern virginia roofing contractors than I do, but again, it goes to market. We make good money doing what we do, and if I ever priced my work like you guys in the higher markets do, I would have all kinds of time to b!tch and complain and hang out because we would not be working.
I am moving to a 2,080 square foot ranch type house on some acreage. The roof is at the end of its life and I expect to have to replace it by this coming fall of 2021. I'm guessing about 22 squares maybe 23.

I am in mid Michigan. Has anyone replaced their shingled roof with metal and would be willing to share the approximate cost of doing it in metal?

Just looking for a ball park guess at what might cost before I start calling for specific quotes.

Thanks ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts