Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,I have a wood machine that I have taken apart and strip down to metal.I then took Kleen Strip "Prep&Etch and treated the metal.Following the instructions,I waited 15mins to wash off the solution.While waithing the 15mins some flash rust appeared.I thought that the purpose of the Prep&Etch was to help prevent the flash rust.There was also a powered coat on the metal from the Prep & Etch.Is this normal,how should I handle this problem?Primer I'm using is SW's Indus.Red Al paint.Thanks CJ

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Whenever I treated bare metal with metal prep I would wipe it down dry. If you're just flushing it off with water and letting it air dry it'll start rusting. You can reapply the prep to get rid of the rust, just don't let it air dry; if it does you'll have to reapply.

·
Registered
293 Posts
MAB makes metal preping and priming paints that work well..

RUst-o-lastic products if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
what did you wash the solution off with? Can you wash it off with spirits or alco? Thats what id at least try - washing it with water going to cause rust no matter what you do...

Try scrubbing the rust off with alcohol and a wire brush, and then seal it with a rust-o-lastic product.

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Benjamin Moore makes a rust converter, you wipe down the area with the product and it converts the rust into an inert paintable material. I would paint with DTM ( Direct to Metal ) type paint. Should hold up well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
the prep and etch is an acid. the directions dont call for neutralizing the acid but i like to rinse with TSP.

I wouldn't be too worried about the flash rust. most metal primers can handle it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts