Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a deck project coming up... Going to be using a bunch of joist hangers & other connectors. Any recommendations on a good pneumatic (heck or a good cordless, even) gun?

I'm looking for a nailer that will shoot 1.5 inch nails (single shot - don't want a palm nailer) and fit within the space between the joists.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My vote is for Bostitch Strapshot. Good performance, reasonable cost, nails available just about everywhere including big box stores.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The bostitch strap shot is a good gun, but if you already have the 21 degree framing nailer you can order the metal connector tip for it. The framing nalier is bigger than the strap shot but if you already have it save ya some money. i also like the tip for the framing nalier better because you can push a hanger into place with it, on the strap shot the nail sticks out a little so its hard to push one into place with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The bostitch strap shot is a good gun, but if you already have the 21 degree framing nailer you can order the metal connector tip for it. The framing nalier is bigger than the strap shot but if you already have it save ya some money. i also like the tip for the framing nalier better because you can push a hanger into place with it, on the strap shot the nail sticks out a little so its hard to push one into place with it.
+1 As Old Crow said
Dedicated nailer - Bostitch Strap Shot
Dual use - Bostitch F21PL. Use as a framing nailer and swap out the tip for teco nailing. It is a lot bigger than the StrapShot 150.

You can usually find great deals on either nailer on eBay.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I've only used my paslode for one house, but it works perfectly and will accept 2.5in nails also. I like it better than the Hitachi I used previously.

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Never used the others, but I have had the paslode for about 5 years now. Fasteners are a little pricey, but it does make a tedious task more tolerable. Only issue we have had is the brass tip keeps getting broken off at the point. I like the fact that it uses the 2.5 in nails also. Many of our truss hangers require the longer nails.

·
Work too cheap
40 Posts
We have the Bostich Strapshot and it is great. I just use the small pancake compressor and keep the air low unless you're nailing in an LVL

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use and recommend the hitachi as shown above. I also have a few of the "rap a nail" types.. the palm nailer with track deal. IMO the rap a nailers require a bit more effort and are obviously noisy and air hogs but arent as finicky as far as what angle you are working from. I prefer the hitachi but some of my guys prefer the rap a nailers.. Hitachi can frustrate you if you arent holding it just right (but mine has been abused and may be more touchy than new ones)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts