Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been an explosion of metal roofs in the area on houses. None of it standing seam, it looks like metal barn siding, with exposed rubber washer screws holding it down. I can't imagine that being leak proof for long, or at all.

Have any of you seen this going on yet? I've seen it in town and in the country, on nice houses and crappy houses.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Done right and occasionally maintained, they can last for many good years from what I gather (literally). Only done one myself, but we have a lot of those roofs around here, on barns.... and some homes. I've heard good things, and the screws seem to be the only weak point.
Avoid overtightening/impact guns.....something about compressing the rubber, speeding dry rot/cracking.
Butter the screws with silicone before driving them....for obvious reasons?

Been using the snap-loc faux S/S a lot.

Doing two modern/rustic cabins with metal in the next year or so. Considering the 5V ribbed.

I would love to hear what others think....must be a bunch of ribbed metal out there.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I've seen some cool ventilation set ups too. Custom ridge vents etc.

Can that stuff be bent on a brake/hand brake, to integrate into rake drip edges and/or wall transitions like the snap-loc?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool...I've never had any experience with it, just noticed a LOT of people switching over to it in the last year or two. Never saw much of it before that, except on barns.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,846 Posts
Has been used around here for years. Am seeing more homes with it being installed mainly because of the long life of it. Also we have a fair amount of strong wind here. If done correctly it will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,357 Posts
Has been used around here for years. Am seeing more homes with it being installed mainly because of the long life of it. Also we have a fair amount of strong wind here. If done correctly it will last a long time.
Very common here too. Especially on the Big Island where there's no water and all the homes water comes from the roof top catchment systems. Metal roofs are not new and last a long time. Alcoa sells there's with a life time warranty.

Reactions: Big Shoe

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
R-panel has been pretty common around here since I started working. I remember installing too many of them with dark green paint on 100 degree days. We put them on some pretty nice houses too, although I think they probably work best on more "lodge style" or log homes. It's a very good roof. Got to be better than a 30 year comp.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
It's used a lot here too...several roll formers in the area , you call in your order and pick it up the next day, everything cut to length.

·
Registered
32 Posts
East Tenn is full of them to. Mostly done as an economical reason I think. I mean they look pretty good in my opinion if installed correctly (and yeah I have seen them lapped backwards). I would not personally install one on my own house but I think it's a great option to get a very reliable roof system for a decent price. And there is an endless amount of suppliers now days to buy from so they are a common roof system around here. I would guess to say we install 15 minimum a year give or take a few.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,357 Posts
1 - 20 of 144 Posts