Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call last week (late at night) a painter needed a trim guy to install some baseboard, about 350'.
OK, so I met him at the job, we came to an agreement on my price. He did some figuring and then gave a price to the HO.

Jump ahead a day and it's the end, I give the painter my bill, he goes upstairs to the HO to get paid.

The HO wouldn't pay for the materials, says that the painter gave him an "all in" quote. I know that is complete B.S. because I was right there in the kitchen with them when they discussed it.

Freakin Pr#$%^ anyway, the painter comes downstairs, tells me what happened.
He then pay's me - in full. No deductions. I know that I made more on the job that he did.

One heck of an honest guy, kinda refreshing these days.

Next job we work on together I'm going to deduct 1/2 the cost of the baseboard from his invoice.

HO says to me later, I'll call you on the weekend there's more work to be done. Ya, sure I'll be waiting by the phone - NOT.

If the painter didn't say "labour + materials" then I'd say there's room for interpretation. But he did, and it was almost to the penny.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
That HO will Pay 10 folds, hard working people deserve the pay as long as it was professional and better.
that's a good painter to keep by your side, even if you can do it your self you pass it to him

·
President
1,349 Posts
I got a call last week (late at night) a painter needed a trim guy to install some baseboard, about 350'.
OK, so I met him at the job, we came to an agreement on my price. He did some figuring and then gave a price to the HO.

Jump ahead a day and it's the end, I give the painter my bill, he goes upstairs to the HO to get paid.

The HO wouldn't pay for the materials, says that the painter gave him an "all in" quote. I know that is complete B.S. because I was right there in the kitchen with them when they discussed it.

He then pay's me - in full. No deductions. I know that I made more on the job that he did.

Next job we work on together I'm going to deduct 1/2 the cost of the baseboard from his invoice.

HO says to me later, I'll call you on the weekend there's more work to be done. Ya, sure I'll be waiting by the phone - NOT.

If the painter didn't say "labour + materials" then I'd say there's room for interpretation. But he did, and it was almost to the penny.
Your a liar!

I don't rembered any of this. :whistling

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts

That H/O knew what they were doing...It's called screwing ya!

·
Super Moderator
27,698 Posts
Sounds like a good man. It was his responsibility to pay you.

If i was him, if there was unfinished work, I'd roll my crew up, hand them a bill for what they owed and say I'll be be back when I get my check. If i don't get a check, I'll pursue my options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts