Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't take much reading to see that there is a big stigma against mesh tape by a lot of people around here. I was just wondering why? For veneer plaster that's what we've been using on the joints for years and never had a problem and those jobs have been around for a long, long time with no problems. :blink:

The way I understand it all we're doing when we finish a wall (plaster/drywall) is make all the separate pieces of sheetrock effectively 1 large piece that moves together instead of independently. Whether you do that with paper, mesh, or a piece of wood behind your joint as long as they are all solidly attached and barring any major foundation movement how would the joint crack whatever you used? (Paper, mesh, drywall, or plaster?)

It may not be comparing apples to apples but in my opinion mesh taped plaster > paper taped drywall when it comes to joint strength. Now between mesh taped drywall and paper taped drywall I really don't know which is stronger but personally I don't feel that there would be a huge difference between the two. I prefer paper when doing drywall but mostly that’s because I feel it’s easier to work with, not necessarily stronger. (Personally I've never had any problem with meshed joints, never had any call backs, and I know a few other tapers who do it quite often and never heard any problems from them either.)

·
Designer/Contractor
4,786 Posts
Isn't the rule that if you use mesh tape you have to use a setting type of joint compound?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I do very little drywall (only patches now and then, first coat then have a painter finish it off) and I'l be the first to admit I suck at it. I've found that mesh tape is alot harder to cover then paper.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Mesh tape traditionally has needed to be set with setting compounds, however there are so many mesh tapes on the market now then before and some of them can be used with drying compounds.

Bottom line is everything is subject to change in construction and you need to read the manufacturers instructions on everything you use.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've really only used it for areas that had stress cracks in the drywall, like over door headers or other areas of the home. Never had a problem with it cracking again after that. I do prefer the paper tape for most applications just because I feel it is faster, except for the areas I use for stress cracks.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Ive done several remodels where they used all mesh on the original construction in the 80's. Even the angles,wow! It's a real pain ripping that stuff out.
I mostly use mesh on all my small jobs. Quickset all the way.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,786 Posts
Another thing about mesh tape. For those of us who do taping only on occasion one of the nice things about mesh tape is there is no bubble issue as can occur under paper tape................................................

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
We're not a mass production drywall crew with specialty tools to speed up whole house drywall jobs, we mainly deal with 1-few rooms in a home or an addition...anything larger i sub it out. We've used nothing but mesh tape for years, no matter if it's a repair patch or room reno, but we've also been using hot mud for just as many yrs too since for us time is money and i like being able to start and finish an entire room from hanging to texture in an 8 hour day...

it is harder to do patch work due to the thickness of the mesh, so we have to blend it out further to hide the patch, but it does'nt take much to do that so i dont get to concerned with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for pointing it out Rio, I was assuming first coat would be with hot mud when using mesh. There may be a mesh on the market that doesn't need hot mud but I've never seen it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the primor on mesh. I find this type of thread much more valuable than the type that attempts to attribute some kind of character flaw to people that are seeking information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gotta say I'm suprised. I kind of thought with all the bad press I'd read on mesh tape around here there would be more negative feedback. Oh well, I got nothin' against it, seems to work well for me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
To give the other side of the issue, I won't use mesh at all, for anything. It is gonna crack. It has NO stability to it, paper does. But alot of people like it and use it,,, so if it works for you, go for it

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I gotta say I'm suprised. I kind of thought with all the bad press I'd read on mesh tape around here there would be more negative feedback. Oh well, I got nothin' against it, seems to work well for me. :thumbsup:
I think you might be reading more into what is here then what is being said.

To clarify:

Normal mesh tape is not to be used with drying compounds in normal drywall applications (like sheetrocking a house), repairs depending on what they are, the size, the circumstances etc... are a different matter. But use mesh tape in normal drywall day to day activities with drying compounds and you will have problems, guaranteed.

The exception is using specially manufactured mesh tape that costs more and is different then run of the mill mesh tape and using it with drying compounds without a problem.

Other than that, normal run of the mill mesh tape is only to be used with setting compounds, because the higher strength of setting compounds will over come the weakness of normal mesh tape.

Paper tape is stronger then normal mesh tape.

·
Registered
838 Posts
To give the other side of the issue, I won't use mesh at all, for anything. It is gonna crack. It has NO stability to it, paper does. But alot of people like it and use it,,, so if it works for you, go for it
I am not a sheetrocker-but I do my fair shar of repairing it. Please explain to me why the mesh is gonna crack?? Stability? paper Swells- fiberglass doesn't. I have found plenty of cracks from paper tape.......... & I use the Mesh to repair it........................

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I am not a sheetrocker-but I do my fair shar of repairing it. Please explain to me why the mesh is gonna crack?? Stability? paper Swells- fiberglass doesn't. I have found plenty of cracks from paper tape.......... & I use the Mesh to repair it........................
Stretch along the fibers, the horizontal and vertical strings of the mesh.

Imagine taking two pieces of drywall, lay them flat on saw horses and butt them together, now mesh tape the butt seam between them. After it drys now take two guys, one on each end of each piece of drywall and both people pull on their ends stretching the butt joing- results in a crack because normal mesh will stretch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used mesh tape when I remodeled a bathroom in my house about 8 years ago. All of the joints on the ceiling cracked. The walls were covered with wallpaper & tile, so I do not know if those joints cracked. I never used mesh tape again.

A painter in this area built a house for himself about 7 years ago. I trimmed the house out. I did a predrywall inspection for nailers. He was hanging & finishing the drywall himself. He had a box of mesh tape for the drywall onsite. I told him that I had used it at my house & had gotten a lot of cracks. He said he had never had any problems with it.

He had me come back about 4 weeks ago to install cabinets in the laundry room. As soon as I walked in the door he told me he should have listened to me on the mesh tape. He had cracks all over. They were not large cracks, but they were cracks.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I used mesh tape when I remodeled a bathroom in my house about 8 years ago. All of the joints on the ceiling cracked. The walls were covered with wallpaper & tile, so I do not know if those joints cracked. I never used mesh tape again.

A painter in this area built a house for himself about 7 years ago. I trimmed the house out. I did a predrywall inspection for nailers. He was hanging & finishing the drywall himself. He had a box of mesh tape for the drywall onsite. I told him that I had used it at my house & had gotten a lot of cracks. He said he had never had any problems with it.

He had me come back about 4 weeks ago to install cabinets in the laundry room. As soon as I walked in the door he told me he should have listened to me on the mesh tape. He had cracks all over. They were not large cracks, but they were cracks.

What type of mud was he using? hot mud of bucket mud...it makes all the difference. I've got many a bathroom, or rooms in general we've reno's that i used mesh and setting compound for the 1/2 coats and then used the pre mix as a topical/touch up coat prior to texture...knock on wood, over 15yrs doing it that way and never a problem..i love the stuff and it's alot less likely the grunts will screw it up:)

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
We always use paper tape and never had a problem with so i feel no reason to change. Had a couple drywall guys swear by mesh tape to us though but they always said its no good for corners. We tried some ez taping system where the paper tape has a wallpaper type glue on it thats activated by getting it wet. I Guess it seemed faster and stuck like you wouldnt believe, kinda messy with the water drips though and having to do another coat of mud made it seem to me it wasnt any faster in the long run. Might be better for DIY'r though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts