Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who knows what they're talking about summarize when it's o.k to use mesh tape and when it isn't? I know this threads been done several times but it's still vague, there's a lot of mixed opinions.

So factor in all the scenarios:

Factory edge or cut edge joint
Hot mud (setting type joint compound)
Patching holes or cracks
Around openings such as doors, windows, and walkthroughs
New construction or old
Moisture content in framing
Leno-weave or cross-fiber mesh
Temperature durring finishing
Amount of water in compound

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
[...]

Factory edge or cut edge joint mesh
Hot mud (setting type joint compound) mesh
Patching holes or cracks mesh
Around openings such as doors, windows, and walkthroughs mesh
New construction or old mesh
Moisture content in framing mesh
Leno-weave or cross-fiber mesh mesh?
Temperature durring finishing mesh
Amount of water in compound mesh
Can someone who knows what they're talking about [...]
Oops, nevermind, then :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Maybe me and my crews are OLD an stuck in the past, but i have NEVER seen a taping crew show up to rough in a 4000 sqft new home with mesh. For us it is simple, for quick little stubborn repairs, mesh is the way to go, for whole rooms or houses, traditional paper. GMOD

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is right from the USG reps mouth. You shouldnt use paper tape with setting type compounds (ie durabond), only fiberglass tape should be used. Fiberglass tape is the only thing used for taping durock. Fiberglass tape is supposed to be much weaker than paper tape. Some have said if you use durabond you dont need tape at all, but I have never done that.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I can clarify this for you. We use mesh mostly.

Of course we seldom do more than a room at a time.

Seriously, if you need a clear concise answer just select one expert author. Buy his book and follow his advice. Myron Ferguson is a good place to start.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
While I don't drywall (I know better), when we remodel a bathroom, I spec out mesh tape with Durabond for first coat. The Densarmor Cote for finishing.

We do this because no paper = no mold. Durabond (brown bag) won't mold. Densarmor Cote won't mold either.

Any other room, I let the drywall guy use what he's comfortable with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Okay,,,, If you want to use mesh, then BY-GOLLY use it,,,,,, It sure does get weary, when person after person starts these ,,,"Hey I want you guys to VALIDATE me useing mesh". I personally don't give a rats arse what you use,, I don't use mesh because it will crack, I don't care what the reps say about it either,,, I base MY opinion on my experience since 1973.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Okay,,,, If you want to use mesh, then BY-GOLLY use it,,,,,, It sure does get weary, when person after person starts these ,,,"Hey I want you guys to VALIDATE me useing mesh". I personally don't give a rats arse what you use,, I don't use mesh because it will crack, I don't care what the reps say about it either,,, I base MY opinion on my experience since 1973.
We're just here to rattle your cage. Otherwise we'd have to get a life. :>)

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well the rep more or less agreed with what you said. He said fiberglass mesh is weaker than paper tape. He did say that you are not supposed to use paper tape with durabond, and I have heard that from another taper

·
Registered
10 Posts
My mesh uses.

Old school me, I like paper. Mesh can be used when patching or taping flat surfaces, there are some neat gadgets out there for meshing your angles too. Mold issues, give me a break, I just did a 1800 ft., 3 level bump out/remodel where the attorney/homeowners insisted on mold resistant everything in the basement. What about the rest of the house? Are you never agian going to open a door or window and allow mold spores in? The bottom line is "the customer is ALWAYS right". If they THINK they are safer and are willing to pay the extra price then may God Bless Them and help their check clear!

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Hey Capt,

Truly I don't think anyone is blowing crap at your opinion. My drywaller is an old hippy in his late 60's. He's been doing his craft a long time too.

What tape to use? The PROFESSIONAL drywaller knows when to use what. The magic isn't in the materials, it's in the know-how. How much water to add, do I use 45 or 90, humidity, when has a batch of mud set up, what's the wallboard material, angles, will light flood on the area, time frame, etc. It's knowing all of those things and many other subtleties that make someone like yourself a craftsman at drywall.

·
Banned
154 Posts
We do a small room at a time. When we do it ourselves it's mesh.

Never had a problem.
Years ago I did mesh, then I bought a banjo (lingo may be different), paper tape is the only way to go. A pain to clean but awesome to use.

$75 I paid for it but its paid for itself a bunch. With paper you can get sharper corners too.

Attachments

·
Banned
77 Posts
use paper tape better

Can someone who knows what they're talking about summarize when it's o.k to use mesh tape and when it isn't? I know this threads been done several times but it's still vague, there's a lot of mixed opinions.

So factor in all the scenarios:

Factory edge or cut edge joint
Hot mud (setting type joint compound)
Patching holes or cracks
Around openings such as doors, windows, and walkthroughs
New construction or old
Moisture content in framing
Leno-weave or cross-fiber mesh
Temperature durring finishing
Amount of water in compound
KennMacMoragh answer to the mesh dilema KennMacMoragh what are you taping a patch, repair or new install??? let me know I can answer that one easily .....

·
Registered
89 Posts
win using mash tape i put bed coat on mesh , bust it out with my eight making sure all mesh is cover will . thin bust with my ten, sand paint. practise makes perfect . most of the time two coats will do it

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can clarify this for you. We use mesh mostly.

Of course we seldom do more than a room at a time.

Seriously, if you need a clear concise answer just select one expert author. Buy his book and follow his advice. Myron Ferguson is a good place to start.

Good Luck
Dave
That I've done, I read Myron's book and been to one of his trade shows, watched him do a demonstration on drywall. I asked him some questions such as how to prevent tape bubbles, he seems to know his stuff. In his drywall book he mentions two scenarios where it is o.k to use mesh tape, on tapered seams, and for patching cracks and small holes. Gene, interesting you never see anyone use mesh except on repairs, Myron is from New York too, he uses it.

This is out of his drywall book:

I've always gone by the advice given in that book and used mesh on factory tapered seams, and for repairs. I've known a few good experienced drywallers that don't seem to have a problem with it, I've never had anyone whine about my mesh either.

The only negative stuff on mesh I've seen, is what I've read online, some people claim it's not acceptable period. It's unclear when some people are claiming "never use mesh, it will crack", others claim "Use mesh under certain conditions, will never have a call back". So instead of saying "mesh will cause cracks", I'm asking under what conditions have you seen it crack? Have you ever used mesh on an 8' factory to factory edge seam, on a house that's been dried to the appropriate moisture content, using a reasonable amount of water, and then later come by and seen it crack? What were the conditions when you've seen cracks over mesh tape? Were the edges on the seams cut? or were they factory? Was the lumber dry or was it wet? What kind of mud was used?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts