Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a job coming up and I need several prehung solid 6 panel doors that will be painted white.

Menards has them on sale for $59. I'm looking at a cost of $500 vs the $2000 that my yard quoted me.

Are the Menards door decent? Do they paint up nice?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Eh, you could prolly paint 'em up nice...but are they decent doors? Well, they're doors...if you look at them in store, often you'll see the veneer peeling off the core. You may be able to sort through and find 9-10 decent ones though...just check em out I suppose? I'm a fan of getting higher quality doors personally, but if you're up against a budget buster customer, you may help your bottom dollar by saving big money at menards...

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, you could prolly paint 'em up nice...but are they decent doors? Well, they're doors...if you look at them in store, often you'll see the veneer peeling off the core. You may be able to sort through and find 9-10 decent ones though...just check em out I suppose? I'm a fan of getting higher quality doors personally, but if you're up against a budget buster customer, you may help your bottom dollar by saving big money at menards...
My customer would be fine paying for quality. I just saw them and thought...dang, i could double the price of those and still save the customer a grand. Wondered if they were decent.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My customer would be fine paying for quality. I just saw them and thought...dang, i could double the price of those and still save the customer a grand. Wondered if they were decent.
Yeah, there simple fact you mention that your customer will pay for quality says to move on in this case :( don't get me wrong, there are places I'd be willing to use them, but when quality counts isn't one!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I did a whole house with the mastercraft arch top prehungs...

The slabs were OK, I did exchange one that had a wave on the face. No delamination that I could see.

The jambs were cheap, pressed wood with a 'skin'. Needed a little cleanup sand where the strike and hinges were cut in.

All that being said, after install and paint they still turned out to be nice doors.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I used the smooth pre-hungs in my house. As stated, the slabs were fine. Jambs were a little junky, but I've hung prehungs from the lumber yard that were junky too.

Not the greatest pics, but these were the doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Our door shop hangs 50 or so doors per week at a minimum. We buy the slabs from Koetter , then mill the jambs and apply the stops in our mill shop out of solid Poplar or Pine. From what I've over-heard, there is a BIG difference in what's used in the core of the door and obviously, how thick the veneer is and how it's applied.

If I had to guess, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the core is ubber cheap and the veneer is paper thin on that $59 door. Will it work?.... probably, but hang one of those next to one like we build in our shop and ours will definitely sound different, will be heavier I'm sure, and just "feel" more expensive when opening and closing it.

If you're doing the whole house, they may not notice. But if they already have decent doors, then my guess is they would definitely notice the difference.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I always have mine made at my local supplier. I get one from the big box stores if I need just one ASAP. But there's too many screwed up ones, the jambs are crap, the hinges are sometimes cut too deep, the reveals aren't consistent, staples aren't set, etc.

I wouldn't do a whole house with the doors from the big box stores.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I love the scrap finger jointed casing......well done! Barely noticeable........:thumbup: ......paint would sound good to me.....:whistling

You get what you pay for.....

JMPOV....

Hope it's getting painted...it will look nice.....

At least it's a solid core...and for what it cost you....I would say it was a good buy.....

Please don't stain it........

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I love the scrap trip job finger jointed casing......well done! Barely noticeable........:thumbup: ......paint would sound good to me.....:whistling

You get what you pay for.....

JMPOV....

Hope it's getting painted...it will look nice.....
Yeah, its all getting painted. That casing, and the baseboard which is some weird profile that is about 5" tall, was bought from Warren Lumber when it was going out of business. It was $1 a LENGTH :eek::thumbsup: My client loaded up.:laughing:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
60 bucks for a solid core pre hung????

Solid core?
****, I paid $89 for a 36" Hollow core 6 panel door with a PFJ jamb, standard brass hardware from Neice Lumber (for those from the area)....I about crapped myself at the price but figured you get what you pay for....it was still hung like ****...:censored:

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
For paint...no one would know the difference.....:blink: just amazes me how they utilize all scrap......

There are pieces on that trim that are joined side by side and then milled to width , thrown through a molder and then cut, finger-jointed at the ends.........

I saw one of those- trim & door stained , a DYI homeowner. ,,,,,,he was happy....that's all that matters;),,,,to go elsewhere with that topic with him was futile and need not be brought up......:whistling

A call that trim chunkomatic......:laughing:

Nice buy TBF....:thumbsup:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
For paint...no one would know the difference.....:blink: just amazes me how they utilize all scrap......

There are pieces on that trim that are joined side by side and then milled to width , thrown through a molder and then cut, finger-jointed at the ends.........

I saw one of those- trim & door stained , a DYI homeowner. ,,,,,,he was happy....that's all that matters;),,,,to go elsewhere with that topic with him was futile and need not be brought up......:whistling

A call that trim chunkomatic......:laughing:

Nice buy TBF....:thumbsup:
I gotta be honest...for being raw and cheap pine...that casing and base was flat and true.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts