Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the use of an ice and water shield type membrane preclude flashing vallies, dormers, etc.? It seems to me that these membranes should be treated as a 'super' felt, i.e., you would still flash if using 30#, so one would flash with the membranes.

A neighbor just had a new roof installed with some use of an ice and water shield membrane. Where ever the membrane was used, absolutely no flashing was used. The folks doing our roof will be using both. Is one a preferred method?

Obie

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ice and water shield is an underlayment like felt, but better. It should not be used in place of flashings, it should be used in addition to flashing.

I use both, and won't touch a roof if I can't use both. Sounds like the roofers next door wern't much of roofers at all.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, I am watching two restaurants being roofed and they are doing almost the same thing only all Grace. These are metal roofs and being done by different companies.
BTW Grace sticks really well! On one of the roofs they had just put down the Grace and it went through two hurricanes unscathed. There's a recommendation for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Grace Ice & Water Shield should not be permanently left exposed to sunlight. Therefore, it should always be covered by metal flashing or other roofing materials.
Jim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, I think that it was Obie that you were speaking to. It's good info anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts