Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's someone in our location offering people to "patch their leaky roofs with a membrane that goes over top of the shingles". He claims to save thousands in re-roofing, and you come out with a new looking roof. And it won't leak.

I've never heard of this. I don't like the idea of going over top of old shingles. I think it's lazy. And if the roof is leaking, ummmm you should probably fix that sh!t rather than throw a membrane over top to let it rot. Just my opinion anyway.

Any idea what the heck he could be talking about? He's very vague when people are asking him about it. And frankly, I've never heard of it around here.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Could be talking about anything. When I say/think of membrane roofs I think single plys. EPDM, TPO, PVC. Some people call SBS rolls membrane, they technically are. Some people refer to roll roofing (90#) as a membrane.

So they could be putting anything. Single plys would work. screw a cover board down and fasten a sheet mechanically or adhered. You could always just roll out a 90# and nail it off.

Will they work, yeah more so for the single plys. Will they look good, not in the least sense in the word.

You could throw a tarp over them too and it will work for awhile.

Is he just doing the leaking area or the whole thing? Slope?

What ever he is doing if he is the talk of the town so to speak it must be cheaper then a normal repair or he is a good salesman.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,005 Posts
Could also be a brushed /rolled on like Conklin sell. Although that is still not something I think I would want on my roof.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like he does the entire roof....he says "Who would be interested in having their roof repaired? I'm looking at applying a special membrane ontop of damaged roofs this year. Save you a bundle of money in comparison to reshingling, and your roof becomes and looks new".

I dunno, to me just sounds like false hopes for people looking to save money. You'll pay this guy and still have to get a new roof.

Anything I've seen is like you said, rolls onto the roof and looks far from a new roof....dare I say looks trashy? I did see TPO has a spray but in our climate, I don't see how that could hold up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
One could in theory put just about any product on there, how long it works and looks won't be good though.

I'd be interested to see some pictures!

·
Commercial Roofer
26 Posts
Going over old shingles?? That sounds like a disaster especially if the shingles are breaking up or any moisture is trapped you would have adhesion problems. I believe there is a time and place for coatings but I don't like the idea of going over shingles. I would rather play it safe and tear off then start with a good deck.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
no NO NO YAL I found it!!! I believe its called SUN DOWN. its similar to the torch down however the sun is left with the task of adhering the membrane to the shingles.

however it could be another one called stick down... but thats very misleading because it only sticks to the drip edge. I think. Im still trying to find a youtube video to explain this new system to me so i can confidently go apply it on a customers home. for pennies on the dollar. :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
no NO NO YAL I found it!!! I believe its called SUN DOWN. its similar to the torch down however the sun is left with the task of adhering the membrane to the shingles.

however it could be another one called stick down... but thats very misleading because it only sticks to the drip edge. I think. Im still trying to find a youtube video to explain this new system to me so i can confidently go apply it on a customers home. for pennies on the dollar. :laughing:
I'm almost sad that pictures like this don't shock me any more.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I'm not sure which roofer was stupider. The one who put shingles on a 1 pitch or the other who didn't adhere the rolled roofing.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I honestly wouldn't be so sure it wasn't the same "roofer" I mean the first idea didn't work.
"we have this new and improved system that will solve all your problems"

1 - 20 of 50 Posts