Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching way too much discovery channel. I just learned that some scientists speculate that a massive landslide of the southwestern quadrant of a volcanic island in the Canary chain (La Palma) will generate a tsunami wave that will destroy the east cost of the U.S. from Miami to Boston. This kind of tsunami, generated by massive landslide as opposed to an underwater earthquake, is known to generate wave heights in excess of 400 meters. :eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
tsunami

Destroy Boston? Awwww geeeee.... ;) (former Boston resident.....)

As long as a certain Nam vet I greatly respect gets out first (no, not John Kerry)....

Tim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Duuude! That would be one awsome curl.
I heard about the landslide theory years ago, it could go tomorrow or a thousand years from now. I'm thinking that I'm pretty safe as the Bahamas would knock most of the starch out of it before it got here.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Teetorbilt said:
Duuude! That would be one awsome curl.
I heard about the landslide theory years ago, it could go tomorrow or a thousand years from now. I'm thinking that I'm pretty safe as the Bahamas would knock most of the starch out of it before it got here.
La Palma: lat 28.6N Jensen Beach lat 27.3N Bahamas lat 24.2 N

"The energy released by the collapse would be equal to the electricity consumption of the entire United States in half a year. Immediately after the landslide, a dome of water 900 meters (3,000 feet high) and tens of miles wide would form, only to collapse and rebound. As the landslide rubble moved deeper under water, a tsunami would develop. Within 10 minutes, the tsunami would have moved a distance of almost 155 miles. Florida and the Caribbean, would have to brace themselves for 165 foot waves some eight to nine hours after the landslide."

I'm thinking you're pretty much screwed too. Better keep the board waxed up. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, you have the Lats., add in the longs. and plot the course. I'm really in a pretty cool place. Waves of all types do wrap but the worst case scenario is if the sucker is slow, say about 300 MPH. The Bahama Bank is only 68 mi. from us on the East side. It still has to cross the outer islands, the tongue of the ocean and then the western islands.
I'm thinking just a few gnarly waves. Gotta get'em when you can.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teetorbilt said:
Pipe, you have the Lats., add in the longs. and plot the course. I'm really in a pretty cool place. Waves of all types do wrap but the worst case scenario is if the sucker is slow, say about 300 MPH. The Bahama Bank is only 68 mi. from us on the East side. It still has to cross the outer islands, the tongue of the ocean and then the western islands.
I'm thinking just a few gnarly waves. Gotta get'em when you can.
White Sand Ridge Latitude 27.2 N Jensen Beach lat 27.3N
I don't know Teets - no matter how you look at it, La Palma's north of you and the Bahamas are south (albeit only slightly). I still think you got quite a ride comin'! :D

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pipe, you have to look at the bank and ridges and they extend for miles north of Walker's. Trust me, I fish them. Capt. Dennis was here today and we just set up a trip for March. Wouldn't that be weird, fishing the triangle and a little 3 ft. wave that goes underneath you wipes out your old lady at home.
I'm definitly going fishing more often.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts