Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My siding nailer is fooked rod now. :furious: Seems like for the last year or so I load a new coil and the first or second nail out of the new coil jams up. Usually I just hold back on the safety and let it fire out the double nails sittin in the barrel. Well today's was a bit different. The head came off of one and jammed the hammer in the out position about 1/4" from the end. It is stuck. I can JUST make out part of the head and the shaft is tucked into the opposite wall. I took the front of the gun off, after taking the back off and finding I couldn't do anything with it like that :laughing: so it is easier to work on at least. What do do oh great guru's of the building world?! :notworthy

·
4,617 Posts
Get a bigger hammer? :w00t:

I think it's gonna need some professional attention. Its probably had a bent part for a long time and now its just so worn it need some real TLC. Take it to the nail gun doctor and make sure he gives you a sucker. Even if you cry when you get the bill.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:censored: Looking at the plunger end of the shaft, it looks quite delicate. I bet they have some nifty plunger popper that we don't :( I wonder if can give me a bob the builder bandaid for it? I am on one hell of a loosing streak with tools lately.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sOkay just fixt it. I took a mini roller frame and took the whole unit and basically reverse tamped the piston out. Everything is fine, no mushrooming of the pistion, all straight and I guess I shoulda did this before I took it all apart.. oh well.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
while framing the repair guy who came to our sites would tell me that the ends of the piston or pin or whatever you call it would mushroom if the wrong thing was used. That is what got me paranoid about what to use. For my siding nailer those are $120.00 online :eek: no thank you :no:

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
while framing the repair guy who came to our sites would tell me that the ends of the piston or pin or whatever you call it would mushroom if the wrong thing was used. That is what got me paranoid about what to use. For my siding nailer those are $120.00 online :eek: no thank you :no:
Of course he would tell you that.

He wants to be the one to do it and make some bucks from you.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
OK, I have a few things to say and these aren't opinions.

The fookin' thing will not mushroom. And $120??? It better come with some bling for that price!

When your gun jams like this, and I know this for a fact since it's happened a few times to me, EVEN WITH THE AIRLINE UNHOOKED, YOUR GUN CAN STILL CONTAIN COMPRESSED AIR AND IF YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE END POUNDING ON IT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY IT WILL SHOOT YOUR FACE!!!!!!

If the drive pin does not drive down all the way down, it may not release the air inside. Extreme caution.......EXTREME!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Bent wire welds not letting the coil feed right? I had a guy he would walk right over brand new coils then b***h with the gun would feed right. I love my Max coil framer but the coils need to be in pretty good shape when you load them in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
it is usually bad wire from what i have seen
but sometimes it is the feed o-ring that lets go

the head will not mushroom it is tempered
I have both Bostich and Hitatchi guns
I think I might replaced 2 heads in 10 years on about a dozen guns
and yes they go for between 90 and 120 if I remember correctly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts