Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pro
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally talked the wife into the HD programming. The problem is, she wants a new media center to offset the "I get something so she gets something" bs :rolleyes:. I aggreed and she picked out a cabinet from a magazine that was overpriced and mostly built from mdf. I am going to give her the design only making it myself out of oak. I have the general layout down but was wondering, does anyone have any ideas for add ons that may or may not be included in a media console? For instance, I am going to add a little room in the cabinet to allow for receptacles inside the cab. on each shelf and only plug in one cord in the outlet on the wall. I am going to make dedicated chases for all the cords to run through that will keep them completely hidden and hinging the entire top to make it easier to wire all the components. I can add a bunch of bells and whistles and still not come near the price that the box store wants and have something that will last for a whole lot longer.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have not built a free standing console, but have built in wall TV's with components behind the TV.

For these I used a slide out rotating component rack. This way all the components are stacked and it is easy to pull it out and rotate it to get access to the back for cables, etc. I also install IR repeaters so the remote controls will work since the components are hidden. Another item is a network switch for a media server and future expansion.

Forgot to add link to a few racks, and other goodies.
http://cableorganizer.com/home-theater-system/

·
Pro
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kgmz, you might want to look into a Harmony series remote to replace you ir repeaters. I have the 890 and it is hands down the best remote I have ever put my hands on. The remote runs around $250 and comes with 4 ir repeaters. You can plug the remote into a Mac or a PC to progam all the settings you want. I used to have a overly complicated entertainment system until this remote. I had to use two different remotes and had to manually change a setting on the surround sound to go from cable to whatever else. This does it all.

Thanks for the link. I am going there now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts