Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I walked a house late last night measureing the cast iron radiators.
I am measureing so to figure out the EDR so to figure boiler size needed.
The rads are in wall type24x30,20x69,20x55,20x36. Would these type be considered cast iron convectors and not radiators?the selection book has differant typs such as cast iron baseboard,radiant convector,tubular radiators,columnar radiator,copper convectors,cast5 iron convectors.
was I suppose to measure the depth into the wall? My IBR guide book from gama class would have info but short on time. I am exspanding my knowlege and buisness with the install of boilers.
thanks,
CJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
If these are steam radiators you will need to measure the Hight, length per section and number of sections. If it is a column radiator count the number of columns. Different style rads have different values.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am replacing a old oil boiler with a gas tankless unit.water
i performed a manual J load calc. 80,000 btu heat loss.I measured 5 cast iron rads 6 setions on the lower level and 12 in the wall type convector rad. I was trying to find output of each rad . If done correctly from my gamma hydronic manual I figure sq ft of type of rad and it gives outputbtu. my calculation came in close to 80,000 btu .The boiler is modulating so btu firing rate is 30k to 150k.The installation is going good so far.monday I will flush out pipes,check for leaks,control wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts