Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Seeing as time didn't permit a roadtrip and I didn't feel like fighting the border I ordered a bunch of systainers from Dan at Ultimate Tools, whom I was refered to by Tim at Festool Junkie.

Thus far I love em! I have many bits organized into two of the sys1 with the multicoloured containers. I scrapped my drill bag and put the drill/impact in a sys 3 and then used a 4 drawer sortainer for all the drill bits and accessories.

I'm thinking I may need another couple sortainers and about 4 more Sys 4's for my patch cords and pigtails.

Then if they end up lasting a long time and not falling apart I will move the rest of my tools into them. Having the systainer with the tool on top with the sortainer and accessories below is VERY handy.

I emptyed out my 20" greenlee bag and switched to a Veto XL which is alot more organized.

Now I need a good solution for 10-24" drill bits.

I'l post pics onece I get things all loaded up!

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

Loving the systainers, I'm espicially partial to the sortainer because I don't have to break the stack to access one little connector. I'm definitly going to get a few more sortainers them a few sys4/5s for the patch cords. My other tools will be systainer-arized onece I can save up a few more pennies.

If anyone is looking for an awesome organization solution Warner and CHarimon are right on the money these kickA$$.

I think to myself that I'm a fool for spending so much money on stupid plastic boxes, but the bottom line is no one has anything that compares to them, so despite the fact they must be cheap to make they are worth the money.

I can see the caster base being good for moving from room to room, but going down sloped parking garages and into elevators I don't know how well it would work? As of now I use a hand-cart which is an OK solution but I now REALLY want the vacume with handle.

·
I like Green things
23,015 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I like the handcart! Have you tried or seen it?

ABS plastic is not a cheap product to make.
Its not just injection moulded? I was more refering to the cost in Canada. I think I will take a road trip to Syracuse and pack clothes in garbage bags and come home with it all in systainers.

Getting them in just the right order for your usage is important, because I hate stacking and unstacking more than you do.
Yeah in my cube van its fine because of the space but in my little SUV its brilliant to just open the gate and pull out the drawer for the right stuff, not to mention if I need to put stuff back in I only slide out a drawer I don't have to unstack and open one.

This would help: (lighten your wallet even more)
In the cube van it would kickass but in the car its too big, I would have to use th 500 not the 1000...but even then its not space efficent enough. I think Im just going to build shelves in the cube van sized just right for systainers.

If I had the money I would install a couple of the MASTERSET-TD

http://www.ultimategarage.com/festool/systainer.html

If you want my address to start sending donations, feel free to ask!!
I was going to ask you the same question! I can see my small savings being depleated quickly.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Oh yeah! Today for instance I had to trim out 2 condos downtown, nothing special just installing a few touchscreens and speakers. Instead of taking 2 trips by myself I took one, 5foot ladder on one arm Veto on the other and then the handcart with systainers.

I'm sold!....as long as they hold up for over a year.

I just got the Veto used of a fellow CT member, before I used an 18" Greenlee, the pocket arrangement of the Veto is brilliant, and the plastic bottom is good for the snow/puddles but requires protection for nice floors.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Oh yeah! Today for instance I had to trim out 2 condos downtown, nothing special just installing a few touchscreens and speakers. Instead of taking 2 trips by myself I took one, 5foot ladder on one arm Veto on the other and then the handcart with systainers.

I'm sold!....as long as they hold up for over a year.

I just got the Veto used of a fellow CT member, before I used an 18" Greenlee, the pocket arrangement of the Veto is brilliant, and the plastic bottom is good for the snow/puddles but requires protection for nice floors.
I'm glad it has a nice new home! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Congrats

I snaped this last week
This is the front of my trailer 29 different sys/sorts go there. on the left (off camera) is a rack for more.

Craig

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Craig, I love that setup, thats exactly what I have planned for my van! Now all I need is time and money for more systainers.

I saw a pic of the systainer cart folded up and the wheels fold in and the handle collapses, very impressive. But its not cheap and is only rated for 50Kilos....I should weight my setup to see how heavy it is at the moment...I'm thinking more then 50kg. I know the systainers can handle alot of weight I was standing on my stack hanging a TV last week, I'm 200 pounds and the TV was about 85, so total systainer pressure was around 240....Id made some creaking sounds but stood up great.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
...More are on their way I can see this getting expensive....fast...

Still kicking around the vacume idea, or to get caster bases or not...

Anyone know where I can buy that heavy duty systainer hand-cart??

On a second note I have most of my corded tools in my 48" Greenlee Job Box (circular saws, cut-of saw, grinders, chainsaw bla bla bla) Although I would really like to systainer-ize all of them its not cost effective. I need to designe an insert system to organize this messy box!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Inner
here is something that in concept is perfect for you. in use if it is rugged enough then awesome:thumbup::thumbup:
It is supposedly made for professional photographers
http://www.adorama.com/ZZLK.html
Normally I wouldn't kiss a man....but this time I'l make an exception.....Thats Awesome

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I still don't get it. Looks like these are made for storage, so why would you want to be able to take the boxes apart? And why would you need handles on them to be able to move around? If they go in your garage or a storage then you shouldn't have to be moving them anywhere.

And if you bring them to a jobsite, wouldn't it be awkward caring a big plastic box around? If you brought the whole set up to a jobsite, then are you really going to need all those tools?

My routine is I store everything in tool chests and shelves at my storage. On a jobsite, I figure out all the tools I'm going to need, put them in a carrying tool bag, or tool tote, whatever you call it, and everything else in my tool pouch and get to work.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,732 Posts
And if you bring them to a jobsite, wouldn't it be awkward caring a big plastic box around? If you brought the whole set up to a jobsite, then are you really going to need all those tools?
Probably not. But many of us aren't fortunate enough, or don't have the perspicacity to look at a job beforehand and know exactly what tools we're going to need for the day. It's just a wonderful thing to realize that you need a left-handed peristaltic rheowidget and it's right here--not two hours away back at the shop. :thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I still don't get it. Looks like these are made for storage, so why would you want to be able to take the boxes apart?
Ken, I'm sure we do completely different things but let me explaine the pic I posted.

In one trip I bought up:

Laptop
Veto w/ All my necessary hand tools
Impact/Drill
Bits/Accessories/Holesaws
Wire straps & box connectors
Patch cords
Alarm Contacts
Terminators F/BNC/RCA/DB9 etc.

This was all I needed that day in that condo, I had to install an alarm system, work on the network, install some home automation gear, dress the rack etc. It was on the 17th floor downtown, my vehicle was a few minuit walk away and I was by myself.

I probably saved an hour that day alone having everything at my fingertips.

Now if I was a framer I probably wouldn't go this route, but I need a million little things and NEVER think of everything I need before leaving the truck.

I'm taking all my tools out of my cheat and systainerizing them, now I can actually find both my grinder AND its discs AND the wrench to change them. Imgaine having your drill kit organized so well you don't have to rummage through a bag to find your bit set.

I have a SYS4 that is my "catch all" if I have any special items that I require I toss them into it for the trip up, paperwork, components, retro rings etc.

I can lock a stack taller then myself and bring them to a penthouse apartment and he hard at work by the time you would have thrown your 3rd tool from your chest into your bag.

Like I said my job and your job are apples and oranges, but the system is awesome!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts