Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with using MDO lap siding? 7" wide by 12' long

Did a search but could not find much information.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
What are you talking about.... MDO??? :blink:

EDIT: Ok, I had to do a big G search and find out what it is. I couldn't find it in any 7" exposure X 12' panels.... just sheet goods. It looked fine. I don't know if it has any advantages over other MDF type products like LP SmartSide or not.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
540 Posts
Medium Density Overlay. Also known as sign board because it is the material that is typically used for construction signage, e.g. ROAD CLOSED.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/industrial-panels/mdo/1-2-x-4-x-8-mdo-plywood-handi-panel/p-1358809-c-13339.htm

I was wondering the same thing. Never seen it as siding and was considering using it in that application. Only thing I could tell from manufacturer's literature was that it had to be painted and the edges completely filled.

OP - What product are you looking at?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not have the product name. Have a supplier that has couple of pallets from an old order. Can get a heck of a deal on the lot and so was wanting to know more about MDO lap siding. Sorry for the limited information.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I haven't installed mdo lap, but we tear it off houses all the time. Honestly, I don't think they make it anymore.
On a side note, mdox is great stuff in sheet form. I've wrapped a few front porch columns with it, and they hold up to the weather. I 45 rip them with the shop saw, assemble on site.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't installed mdo lap, but we tear it off houses all the time. Honestly, I don't think they make it anymore.
Are you tearing the MDO siding off because of what ??

Problems/issues with the MDO siding or something else?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
On a side note, mdox is great stuff in sheet form. I've wrapped a few front porch columns with it, and they hold up to the weather. I 45 rip them with the shop saw, assemble on site.
I could only find it in sheet goods. The sheet goods wouldn't be all that bad to install, but to double coat all those edges with "edge sealer" like the manufacturer suggests, would be a nightmare with all the laps and cuts you are going to have with a 7" exposure panel.

It's probably why you tear a bunch of it off and maybe why they don't make it anymore Totes. No one did the double coat on all the edges and cuts, and the stuff absorbs water/moisture like a sponge and fails.

:whistling

·
Registered
551 Posts
The sheet goods I use on trim, are mdo on exterior ply. Love the stuff.

The siding I see a lot of is mdo on top mdf/particle board material. It is 12' long and always super wide exposure. It actually holds up very well! More brittle than spongey. If you whack it hard in the "hollow spot" it fractures a bit.

The last tear off I did had nothing to do with the condition of the siding. It made me wonder what awful chemical they put in it to make it hold up so well.

I am very curious about the product you are looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Made by a company called Eagle Veneer INC. out of Grants Pass, OR. The product was called Eagle Classic. I called the company and the product has not been made in about 10 years are so. The stop making because no problem with product but profit margins was no enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts