Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Dude
2,375 Posts
For siding? Smartside is kind of similar - an OSB panel with a primed hard facing. It's very resistant to warp and moisture uptake. The shed guy I've built with uses it to cover OSB and ply panels when they are left overnight to keep the dew and light rain off. I've never seen a panel of it warp or soak up water even when the ply it was covering did.

It looks like T1-11, and installs similar too. It's 3/8 instead of 5/8 or 3/4, much lighter, and has a hard facing that's primed. I think it's superior to T1-11 in most every way.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've used it for tapered porch columns, it worked fine.
Actually, I had this come up just yesterday. I went to our mill shop guy with some drawings on some tapered columns I need to replace. He immediately said he would use MDO and redwood trim to build them out of. He said if we couldn't get MDO, primed on both sides, he would prime the columns everywhere on the inside.

He said they would last forever. Someone else mentioned it in another MDO thread, and so did our mill shop guy.... that this is what road signs used to be made of, and when kept painted.... lasted forever.

I have no idea about siding though.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
For siding? Smartside is kind of similar - an OSB panel with a primed hard facing. It's very resistant to warp and moisture uptake. The shed guy I've built with uses it to cover OSB and ply panels when they are left overnight to keep the dew and light rain off. I've never seen a panel of it warp or soak up water even when the ply it was covering did.

It looks like T1-11, and installs similar too. It's 3/8 instead of 5/8 or 3/4, much lighter, and has a hard facing that's primed. I think it's superior to T1-11 in most every way.

I used that stuff on my shed. It's nice stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts