Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does MDF have formaldehyde in it? My friend works in a warehouse where they store different types of wood and they told him there is formaldehyde in their MDF. I do alot of high end cabinets and work mostly with real wood but i work with MDF enough to worry about this. Alot of Toekick,Crown and Fascia board are made of MDF for alot of remodels we do and i get so much of that ******************** up my nose

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Scarfed from another site;

MDF (Medium Density FibreBoard)
There are different types fibreboard which differentiated by
..the size and type of wood fibres used
..the method of heating
..what type of bonding agent is used
..the method by which it is pressed into shape

Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) is a wood substitute form which is made from fine wood fibres in a resin which is bonded under heat and pressure. It is manufactured by a dry process at a lower temperature than other fibreboards e.g hardboard. Thethe natural glues and resins contained within the wood are not effective. MDF therefore uses artificial bonding agents / resins. The resin used is usually urea formaldehyde, but some fibreboard including exterior or marine quality board will use stronger glues such as phenol formaldehyde. MDF may be used instead of plywood or chipboard. It is dense, flat, stiff, has no knots and is easily machined. It is made up of fine particles and therefor does not have an easily recognisable surface grain

MDF can be painted to produce a smooth quality surface. Because MDF has no grain it can be cut, drilled, machined and filed without damaging the surface. MDF may be dowelled together and traditional woodwork joints may even be cut. MDF may be glued together with PVA wood glue. Oil, water-based paints and varnishes may be used on MDF. Veneers and laminates may also be used to finish MDF

Safety: It should be noted by anyone involved with MDF that there is an accepted risk that wood dust inhaled at certain level, is a carcinogen (cancer causing) and that formaldehyde is possibly carcinogenic to humans'. Exposure to formaldehyde by inhalation can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, throat and mucous membrane.formaldahyde can also cause dermatitis. A number of countries have but legal limitations on the use of MDF

Your buddy is right. Companies that deal in hazmats. are required to inform their employees. MSDS's have to be readily available too. Certain places must post them.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Now ain't that some crap. You need an MSDS for your wood now.

I got a few containers of GoJo hand wipes at the supply house a few weeks ago, and they asked me if I needed the MSDS for it since they just started carrying them. I thought for a few seconds and then thought, gee, I guess I do. I remember first compiling my MSDS book. Needed one for all the regular stuff too like Windex, White-out, motor oil, and silicone caulk.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
md, you ought to see mine. For the marine business, it's 3, wide binders. All solvents, epoxies, urethanes, esters, ethers, fabrics, oils, etc. It's almost self defeating, someone could die before I found the correct paper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot .. i guess i better start wearing a respirator. Any advice on a good one maybe a low profile one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts