Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching bob vilas home again this morining before i left the hotel. He was showing new construction homes in a new subdivision. All of them has a surge protector box mounted like underneath the main breaker panel that protected the whole electrical system during storms and stuff from surges. I was wondering if you have ever intalled one of those bad boys in new contruction. I don't have one of those in my house. :cheesygri

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Yes, I install them if I can sell the customer on them. Generically, they are called transient voltage surge supressors, or TVSS's. I do believe that they work, but I can't prove it. Good ones are quite expensive. I use the ones manufactured by http://www.stediwatt.com/ , because they have the best warranty/guarantee in the business as far as I can tell. Many of the panel manufacturer's also make what they call a "surge breaker", which is basically a small TVSS that plugs into a couple of breaker slots just like a breaker does.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,759 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Md, whats the difference between that and a GFCI?

Don't they both protect against a sudden surge?

Bob

Two different creatures. A GFCI Is a Ground Fault Circuit Interuptor. When the outlet detects current flowing into the ground circuit it assumes something is wrong and will shut down the current by disconnectiong the circuit. A surge protector will momentarily cut off a circuit when the voltage or current (?) spikes past a certain range, Simple surge protectors use a metal oxide component that is destroyed when it protects from a surge. After that is is worthless. I hope those TVSS's aren't single use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts