Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in a front door last year with stained fiberglass, finish is failing just over a year later. It's got southern exposure, which is rough, but pretty disappointing. Reps were less than helpful too. Be warned...

Wood Wood stain Plywood Hardwood Door

Wood stain Furniture Wood Plywood Hardwood

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a masonite door. This customer was kind of attached to a salesman from Richard's Building Supply, a smaller Midwest Supplier. It shouldn't happen, but I got involved on a job where I didn't have say in supplier, in the end I feel like the a-hole for using them. Great customer though, still appreciates me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two reps came out, without letting me know when, rudely told the homeowner there was nothing they could do. Material was not meant to last more than a year. Another lesson learned, no rep meetings like this without me being there to mediate. Now it's he said /she said. Sadly, the homeowner had a similar door there previously, stained fiberglass, 8 years with no re-finishing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What series Masonite?

If it is the stain peeling off, and it is NOT an Avant Guard (factory finished) stained door, then they are not going to warranty it.

If it is the door skin (under the stain), then it should be covered under warranty and you may need to call Masonite, not the assembler, although my source has always backed their doors no matter what.

Also, it looks like the glass assembly is a primary concern from the pictures. Masonite is not going to cover that, but the assembler should as they are the ones that supplied that.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Two reps came out, without letting me know when, rudely told the homeowner there was nothing they could do. Material was not meant to last more than a year. Another lesson learned, no rep meetings like this without me being there to mediate. Now it's he said /she said. Sadly, the homeowner had a similar door there previously, stained fiberglass, 8 years with no re-finishing.
That's why I will only use ProVia fiberglass doors. The stain finish on their premium SIGNET fiberglass doors is warranted for TEN years and SEVEN years on their mid grade, HERITAGE fiberglass doors.

That absolutely should NOT happen after ONE year. :no:

Follow up:

Also, it looks like the glass assembly is a primary concern from the pictures. Masonite is not going to cover that, but the assembler should as they are the ones that supplied that.
Yet ANOTHER reason to use ProVia. They build the slabs AND fabricate and assemble the doors themselves. No shipping parts to an assembler, who then sells them to a distributor, who then sells them to a yard, who then sells them to you. WAY too many hands on that door, with no one wanting to take any responsibility. With ProVia, you have ONE company to deal with period.

·
Registered
477 Posts
CWD, agree on Provia. Even Therma-Tru sends there doors off.
Customers find it hard to swallow the price of Provia (unfortunatly).

Beyond that point, local distributor should be involved here, and if not you need to find a new distributor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts