Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
spazman
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you watching? Who are you rooting for? Or could you care less?
I'm going to a friend's watch party to see it. Should be fun no matter who wins.

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Been waiting for this fight. Quit working on the rental early to go to my dads for the fight. I got $350.00 on Pacquiao. I hope he whips Mayweathers butt, but i doubt he will. Mayweather has the reach and the gun. Pacquiao is tougher though,imo.

Reactions: spazman

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I'm pulling for Pacquaio just because Mayweather is a jackass.

Other than that I could care less. I remember when the big fights were on ABC's Wide World of Sports. My Dad and I used to watch all the greats when I was a kid. Now it is all about the money. I haven't seen a boxing match in years because they mostly tend to be pay per view. I ain't payin'.

·
Registered
686 Posts
This fight has been too long in coming.....I love boxing, but this is sort of bittersweet....a great matchup of differing styles, but maybe the last big fight in a dying sport.....

Pac-man in a split decision..........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Fight time totals, win or lose:

Mayweather will earn 180 million tonight.
Pac-man will make 120 million tonight

You know damn well the promoters want 3 fights. I expect Manny to win tonight only for the reason that if FM wins, there's no reason for a rematch. However, if he loses, it sets up rd 2 which he'll win, setting up the winner takes all rd 3. Gotta love a fixed sport!

...And tonight's earnings figures are absurd!

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Well, good fight. Mayweather was clearly the better fighter throughout, but Pacquiao fought hard.

Reactions: spazman

·
Super Moderator
25,905 Posts
Fight time totals, win or lose:

Mayweather will earn 180 million tonight.
Pac-man will make 120 million tonight

You know damn well the promoters want 3 fights. I expect Manny to win tonight only for the reason that if FM wins, there's no reason for a rematch. However, if he loses, it sets up rd 2 which he'll win, setting up the winner takes all rd 3. Gotta love a fixed sport!

...And tonight's earnings figures are absurd!
Just like any other profession, if someone is paying it they are making money off of it. Free market.

That fight didnt look fixed. :no:

·
House surgeon
2,389 Posts
I'm pulling for Pacquaio just because Mayweather is a jackass.

Other than that I could care less. I remember when the big fights were on ABC's Wide World of Sports. My Dad and I used to watch all the greats when I was a kid. Now it is all about the money. I haven't seen a boxing match in years because they mostly tend to be pay per view. I ain't payin'.
My view has been identical. "Man I'm going to make over 100 million because of the people that are going to pay ridiculous prices to see me on tv. I'm like a kardachian."
Plus, how many pay per view fights over the years have been let downs. With the exception of holyfields ear getting eaten off.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just like any other profession, if someone is paying it they are making money off of it. Free market.

That fight didnt look fixed. :no:
No it didn't, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the promoters still push for additional fights.

·
Young-Guy Framer
551 Posts
If an uneducated boxing fan were to watch the fight, 100% they would have thought Pacquaio won. He threw a lot of fast, hard combos that looked much more impressive than any offence Floyd was putting together. Floyd rarely touched Pacquaio with anything except his jab.

But here's the thing. Floyd's defense, as anyone who follows boxing knows, is nothing short of superhuman. Pretty much everything Pacquaio threw either got blocked by Floyd, or missed entirely.

From a completely objective standpoint, here's the stats:

Both fighters threw a very similar amount of punches (435 for Floyd, 429 for Manny)

Floyd landed almost twice as many punches as many (148 to 81)

So while at first glance it would have looked like Pacquaio was taking the fight to Floyd, Mayweather was obviously quite successful in avoiding Pacquaio's punches and finding a home for his own.

I scored the fight for Mayweather. Though the judge who scored it 118-110 seemed way off to me. I could see someone making a case for Pacquaio as some of the rounds were quite close, but anyone saying that Mayweather did nothing and Pacquaio clearly won the fight is either biased or uneducated in boxing. Statistically, Mayweather did more than Pacquaio.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
They were both past their prime and not heavyweights but the good news is there's plenty of time left for the fight of the century.

I haven't followed boxing since it went to PPV, seems like it kinda turned into a pro wrestling event.

·
Punching above his weight
9,194 Posts
Mayweather is the best hugger/dancer I've ever seen.

He's phenomenal. I assume boxing rules are still such that to be the champ, you have to knock the champ out. This means Mayweather will retire undefeated. He fights like he was fencing. A "landed" punch scores points with judges.

I would kill to see the fantasy land fight where he and Tyson go toe to toe. Tyson trying with everything he has to knock Floyd out, and Mayweather deftly dodging everything Tyson threw at him.

Blah. Glad I stole this fight off the internet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts