Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the problem with installing a drop-in or alcove tub, in an elevated position, say counter-top height?

I've seen them installed that way for pet washing, but I'm thinking that people with kids should love them, (unless you're in the habit of leaving them alone to bathe themselves), but I never see them.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I dunno, as long as the framing underneath is adequate I don't see why not.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frame a pony wall and floor joists adequate for the span and tub weight, should be good. :thumbsup:

I saw one once in a pretty upscale house, where it was an elevated soaking tub in front of an enormous picture window, looking out on beautiful scenery. There were steps to get up to it. Pretty cool.

But I don't see 'em too often.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
We had one that was installed in a bathroom with a step down, not quite as high as you are suggesting, but they definitely liked that aspect of the bathroom and wanted to keep something similar for that exact reason. They didn't have to bend of as much.

I think the finished deck height was something like 28".

Can't find the pics that I took. It's still one that is in the bid process.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I'll try it out. I have a bathroom addition on my own house coming up.

Might make the wifey very happy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
819 Posts
its very odd....and resale will be effected...I would do it

since you can only have a 15" horizontal drop- drain to trap it will have to be vented by itself...so there will most likely be some extra plumbing involved

its just odd...that's why no one has done it

expect to give a $10,000 discount when you sell your house because the next homeowner most likely wont want it

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other big reason is, it can't be a tub/shower combo.

You'd need a separate shower stall.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The other reason is that kids grow up. You're talking about making a fairly permanent change to accommodate bathing kids that will grow up to start bathing theirselves. If you have 2 kids 2 years apart, you really won't need an elevated tub after 5 to 7 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts