1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea how old the structures are?
An info grab:

Cahal Pech

Cahal Pech is located on an imposing hill that overlooks the twin towns of San Ignacio and Santa Elena. The name of the site means “Place of Ticks” in the Yucatecan Maya language. This name was coined in the 1950’s when the area around the site was used for pasture.

Research in 1988 found ten mounds. Excavations show that Cahal Pech was inhabited from 1000 B.C. to around 800 A.D. The central part of the ruins provides a beautiful panoramic view of the surrounding area. Thirty- four structures, including temple pyramids, two ball courts, an alter and five plain stelae fill the 2 acre area.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,255 Posts
Peru or Bolivia?

I've always been fascinated by the South American ancient architecture. Little known fact, a lot that has been attributed to the Inca, they told the Spanish that it predated them. And their records went back to about 200 A.D.

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing those. :thumbsup:

Delta

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peru or Bolivia?

I've always been fascinated by the South American ancient architecture. Little known fact, a lot that has been attributed to the Inca, they told the Spanish that it predated them. And their records went back to about 200 A.D.

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing those. :thumbsup:

Delta
Santa Elena, Cayo District, Belize

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Indeed, I love this stuff.

Check out the step layout on that pyramid...looks like it would flunk a modern day inspection in terms of riser /tread consistency...I wonder if it's for a reason.
It was intentional. The steep tall risers force people (typically shorter mayans, not long leg gringos) to climb the stairs on all fours, showing deference and repect to whatever God the structure was dedicated to.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the pyramid pic I spoke is in the second to last picture...

In some of the others...seems like some of the mayans enjoyed doing a nice coursed half bond and other enjoyed stack bond work.
Most of the stone work was covered in plaster at the time of construction, but the finer work was visible.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Wow ! Thank you for sharing SC.,I love seeing stuff like that ! I also enjoy the different observations the guys drew from the photographs.One that struck me was the stone "tunnel",the arch sorta looked like the precursor to a Gothic arch. Did anyone else think that ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow ! Thank you for sharing SC.,I love seeing stuff like that ! I also enjoy the different observations the guys drew from the photographs.One that struck me was the stone "tunnel",the arch sorta looked like the precursor to a Gothic arch. Did anyone else think that ?
Not a precursor but reminiscent for sure...taller than it is wide

1 - 18 of 18 Posts