Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6" Halo standard recessed lighting in my basement (basic housing - no insulation). Can I replace my 65watt incandescent floods with a PAR38 "120 Watt equivalent LED" (actual is 24 watts)? I bought one to try over my desk and the light is fantastic - 1300 lumens at 3000K "color"! I don't see why not, but am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much. It is %$%% awesome light!

A $38 bulb at HD, but I got a discount due to damaged/open packaging. (Ecosmart LED Bright White Flood - PAR38)

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
What's crazy to me is the lack of heat. You can grab those bulbs after they have been for an hour and it's warm but not hot!

·
Registered
818 Posts
What's crazy to me is the lack of heat. You can grab those bulbs after they have been for an hour and it's warm but not hot!
That's the energy savings you're feeling. Much less wasted as heat.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I have no problem with upgrading to the new lighting technology, but the price needs to drop a ton. 38 bucks a bulb. That's just whack.

·
GC/carpenter
43,887 Posts
VinylHanger said:
I have no problem with upgrading to the new lighting technology, but the price needs to drop a ton. 38 bucks a bulb. That's just whack.
You should try costco they have pretty good lights with the soft white led bulbs for 16 bucks. Sounds expensive but if your like us we have 56 recessed lights in our home some LEDs are significantly cheaper for us. They also claim they will last 22 years.

Light bulb Compact fluorescent lamp Incandescent light bulb

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You should try costco they have pretty good lights with the soft white led bulbs for 16 bucks. Sounds expensive but if your like us we have 56 recessed lights in our home some LEDs are significantly cheaper for us. They also claim they will last 22 years.

View attachment 108113
I realize that about Costco, but I wanted to try this high lumen bulb and got it at discount ($20).

If I remember, Costco has the 2700K LED bulbs (warm soft white, i.e. yellowish - I'm trying to get away from that tone), and the 5000K bulbs ("daylight"), which I also don't like too much. 3000K bulbs are brighter/whiter and I'll be using a lot of those.

The bulbs you posted are around 790-800 lumens (which is fine). That's probably what I'll settle on once I find them in 3000K.

·
LED guy
2 Posts
hey if you guys are looking to buy recessed halo led i work for uninex intl. , and i can get bulk led light cheaper. i can supply sample by mid march. they are new items we are creating and will be energy star compliant. we also will have them in MR16 base and A shape lights along with led flood lights. just figured id let you industry guys know.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I put these in with LED dimmer switches, they are awesome. They make a retrofit also for existing cans. They were installed in all closets and bulkheads
SLD4 LED or SLD6 LED 650 lumens/675 Lumens. 5 year warranty or 50000 hours
The 6 is made to cover a larger can opening.
Halo lighting
I have a you tube link if that is permissable of the company that makes them

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts