Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...what's the maximum incline a very large excavator can crawl upward? I once watched in awe as one "pulled" itself out of a finished hole for an office tower. I wish I took a video of that one. It seemed easily more than 45 degrees, or did I just imagine it?

·
Super Moderator
9,818 Posts
In theory, they can pull themselves straight up. If on tracks, then soil condition and surface will determine the angle. I watched an excavator slide into a pond here on a frosty morning. 5 degrees of slope, maybe. Once sliding, nothing would stop it. The operator didn't have time to stick the bucket in the ground before he went over.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In theory, they can pull themselves straight up. If on tracks, then soil condition and surface will determine the angle. I watched an excavator slide into a pond here on a frosty morning. 5 degrees of slope, maybe. Once sliding, nothing would stop it. The operator didn't have time to stick the bucket in the ground before he went over.
But here's the thing. It was a deep hole, as in several parking decks deep. It reached and grabbed several times to climb out, while not falling backward with each new grab. It was amazing.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,127 Posts
Nothing like being on a little ice with a track machine. specially sideways. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
One my favorite pre-school books:

Didn't know about the Bob Klein sound track....

Still cool Nine years later... a Medium Liebherr excavator(special attachment?) climbing a tower...

https://www.snotr.com/video/4296/Unbelievable_excavator_stunt

Answer to OP would be an infinite grade, or straight and down with the correct fixtures for inserting the bucket/boom into.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
They'll blow black smoke at a certain incline from the engine oil burning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts