Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one. They’re having a bundle sale until the end of September.

I’m looking to expand the services that I provide and I was very impressed with what some of the solutions the system can generate.

Large insurance companies are starting to use this technology as well as real estate, with their focus on the actual imagery. I’m looking to incorporate the scanning technology into performing much faster and more accurate as - builts. it generates files that I can import into 3-D CAD software.

(some of these older houses are crazy to try and be accurate with.)

As I become proficient with this technology I will share any tips I discover along the way.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
543 Posts
Last I looked at matterport... the camera was only accurate to 2 feet... didn't seem usable for measured drawings. Maybe they've improved the accurracy. Can't go wrong with the price... I think Faro time of flight scanner starts at 20k... Its been 5 years but the last workflow I had for scan to dwg still involved tracing the point cloud in cad... Matterport have any solutions there? be interested to hear how it performs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ok, sort of a real life experience. We use matterport files at work to show 3d mages inside bank branches. We sub out the creation of the file, we buy it from the … vendor? … photographer?
Anyway, they are very useful. We have been shown how to take measurements on screen, personally i’m not a favor of that. I don’t trust the accuracy … but i have nothing to back up that opinion. However, the 3 d files are very useful.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,722 Posts

So you have to send it to them for processing. Is that a subscription based thing?

·
Registered
GC
1,105 Posts
Last I looked at matterport... the camera was only accurate to 2 feet... didn't seem usable for measured drawings. Maybe they've improved the accurracy. Can't go wrong with the price... I think Faro time of flight scanner starts at 20k... Its been 5 years but the last workflow I had for scan to dwg still involved tracing the point cloud in cad... Matterport have any solutions there? be interested to hear how it performs.
Specs say 15' now.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Down to 1% accuracy. I do rooms for as-builts on occasion and looking into other services, so small areas are very accurate. Big open areas might be off.

So for $18,000 Leica makes a great scanner that is down to 0.1% accurate.
If things take off, I might get that more spendy cam.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I just tried some of their example 3D files at the link above and there is a measuring tool where I was able to measure a room height that came back saying it was 9'-0". That was from carpet to ceiling sheetrock. I'll take that any day. I measured a 3-0 door and it came out 36 inches wide by 6-8 feet tall. I am pumped and this will be a game changer for me

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The camera arrived last week so I’ve had the weekend to try it out. I scanned my small 1-car shop. Pretty amazing technology.

I recently did an as-built about 10 days ago and the H/O was happy to let me come back and scan her home (for free since I’m in self-learning mode). It’s in the remodel mode, so there is nothing but empty rooms and some construction mess. I’m looking forward to seeing how far I can take this tech.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it took me 1 1/2 hours to completely scan a house that’s in the process of being renovated. And being brutally honest, as always, Murphy kicked me right in the nuts.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s recommended to scan from the lowest level upwards because the system is designed to label the floors numerically. The basement is floor 1 and the next floor up his floor 2, etc.

Before I even scanned my first shot, as I was going down the stairs, that are giant code violators, I was ducking to try to not hit my head on the pantry floor from above and carry the camera on its tripod and iPad around my neck and I stepped too far to the left and fell off of the upper landing onto the ground level slab floor. All I could think was, “save my beer” as far as protecting this camera. I’m so glad there’s no video evidence of this.

Building Stairs Fixture Wood Grey

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The camera was fine and worked flawlessly. Once I get the project processed by Matterport, I’ll strip out all the location and personal data and post it so that y’all can critique my first attempt.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This nice lady bought this house sight unseen from overseas and whomever sold it did all the work without permits. It's hack central. I asked is she knew a good lawyer. She doesn't want to sue anyone....just to get her home up to code.

Really nice lady who should not have to be going through this.

Reactions: Rio

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Here is my first scan.........hover over the colored circles to read my Mattertag comments

Check out the garage...........stairs...........so many conditions that are not code compliant..............this camera makes it great. The tags were added later on a computer, so take notes on site.

The model navigation tools are in the lower left of the browser screen.

·
Design Build
8,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This poor home is crazy....Matterport makes it easy for everyone to be on the same page.
I tried to identify everything that jumped out at me and then I addressed them on a plan for the permit office.

We shall see what the county says in a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts