Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some home owners who want me to use this Matei grout maximiser. I have never used this product and have been told by a few people not to use it as they have had trouble with grout cracking not to long after their done. Also that it makes it very hard to clean off and wipe down. any one used this before and can tell me whether to risk it?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Mapie?

If your grout cracks you have bigger problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I understand that I'm asking whether the product is worth using, I'm using stone tile so I have to seal it all anyway.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yes I understand that I'm asking whether the product is worth using, I'm using stone tile so I have to seal it all anyway.
If Angus were here he'd say why waste any more money on a grout that's designed to fail anyway, go urethane or epoxy.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I haven't used it but I would say that a customer that is worried about staining will love urethane grout. You're going to love it too. Quartzlock 2 is my favorite.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've used it couple times, actually mixes kinda loose, I was surprised because grout boost mixes kinda dry so I add more from another jug to the 25 lb mix. I'm not sure in the long run if it actually works, but Mapei has some serious R&D, and have a whole new line of maintenance products.
Cleanability , I haven't noticed, I'm the applyer. I think it runs about 45$ at the distributor, we charged like we sealed the grout, .25 cent a foot extra.

·
Registered
13,374 Posts
I use the Maximizer, like the workability of the grout. I have Mapie grout mixed with Maximizer in my shower, no issues over the last 4 years.

Tom

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think these additives were the first attempt to fortify portland grout to make it perform better. This was maybe a result of wanting to help people who were putting sealers on their grout.

Now we have grouts like Laticrete's permacolor, which I suppose have all the good things in it and you just add water.

I always thought permacolor mixed very loose and goes on well. But when it starts to turn, you need to get it cleaned off.

Regarding walls, it mixes almost too loose.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
A few things I like about the mixed sealer are that you don't have to go back after grout cures, you don't have to apply it with a sealer bottle and you don't have to move furniture. I never used those stand and spray, I've used plenty of spray paint in my day and standing up 2 ft away is not going to get the nooks and crannies that spills will find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts