Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have resume and photos of my work + customer testamonials. Willing to relocate any where but would prefer central Florida.
33 Years in the trades >> General Contractor> Furniture Maker> Cabinet Maker >> Pattern Maker> Stair builder.

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
This is coming sooner or later so I am gonna ask:

When did you become a Master Carpenter. We have debated the use of this title on the site over the last couple of months. Some guys say it takes a certain amount of time, some say its when you can lead, and some say when you can perform specific tasks.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I never was fond of the term master carpenter, but the answer I liked best was when your peers refer to you as one, is when you can refer to yourself as one.

Peers being carpenters of equal or greater capability, not the summer help laborer. :laughing:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm gonna through my two cents in here, and I apologize to the OP for deviating from his original topic.
I think to be a "master carpenter" you must be able to do it all.
When I say all I mean from framing to building cabinets and furniture.

Now you could be a master framer, or a master trimmer, or a master cabinet builder, but to be a true master carpenter, you need to be a master in all aspects of carpentry.

Myself, I am a master baiter. :whistling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To mudpad; I'm in Connecticut, and will relocate any where. Prefer Florida though. What / where did you have in mind?

To All; the title "Master Carpenter" is when you are proficiant to teach the trade to others. Suggest looking at a dictonary under master for the old meaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In Massachusetts, a Master is designated for the Business owner and the top of their craft. Someone who takes full responsibility for the outcome.
Master Plumber, Master Electrician and Master Carpenter..

You do have to pre-qualify with a min. of 8 years of experience.

Things are very slow in Florida from what I hear?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am from CT and moved to NYC looking for work, the unions won't even take your applications here. As for Florida, I know several contractors that have promised me a job when work actually happens to appear. But be prepared to take a huge pay cut in Florida.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Have resume and photos of my work + customer testamonials. Willing to relocate any where but would prefer central Florida.
33 Years in the trades >> General Contractor> Furniture Maker> Cabinet Maker >> Pattern Maker> Stair builder.

[email protected]
Exactly what part of the state are you located and how far are you willing to travel on a daily basis.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
To mudpad; I'm in Connecticut, and will relocate any where. Prefer Florida though. What / where did you have in mind?
I didn't have anything in mind, just thought it might be to your benefit to let people know what area you were looking for, if any.

Things look pretty dismal in MT. The housing market sucks and the public work is following suit due to the lack of tax revenue, vicious cycle. And like florida, if you did find work here, you would have to take a substantial pay cut, I would imagine. However, it doesn't take a lot to live a pretty good lifestyle here.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Yeah don't listen to some of these guys they are just jealous residential construction guys. Who are full of themselves. I work footing to finish. Light construction to heavy. I am a Master Carpenter also and they all know it.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
If you hold a Journeyman Carpenter CoQ, then there is about 4-5yrs work for you right now in northern Ontario.

They are rebuilding 4 dams, and are desperate for licensed carpenters. You have to be licensed, as this is union work. Paying $32.50/hr. plus 90/day for travel. Double time after 44. Benefits,etc.

Can hook you up right now if you want. I doubt immigration would be much of a problem. But it's cold up there. :thumbsup: Sure ain't Florida.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
If you hold a Journeyman Carpenter CoQ, then there is about 4-5yrs work for you right now in northern Ontario.

They are rebuilding 4 dams, and are desperate for licensed carpenters. You have to be licensed, as this is union work. Paying $32.50/hr. plus 90/day for travel. Double time after 44. Benefits,etc.

Can hook you up right now if you want. I doubt immigration would be much of a problem. But it's cold up there. :thumbsup: Sure ain't Florida.
I hold a card but don't know if that count toward being licensed in Canada. Is this camp work?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I hold a card but don't know if that count toward being licensed in Canada. Is this camp work?
Framerman - I think they are in motels, but not sure. I get this info from a friend of mine who is there right now. If you are seriously interested, pm me and I'll hook you up with him.

He'll be able to give you all the details. Good, stand up guy, no worries.

I'd look into it now, and go in the spring. Too cold right now. No rush as I understand they will be at this for some time to come. Part of the infastructure spending I think.

He calls me just to rub it in about how much money he's making. :furious:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
whoa...what does a "master carpenter" get paid? Does he just stand around and crack the whip at all the slave carpenters? :w00t:

Master Carpenter: Too old to carry heavy stuff and has own TV show.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
This isn't the big dam up near Cochrane is it?
Could be, my friend says they've hired every licensed carpenter there is in Sudbury, and there are three more dams after this one. I'm pretty sure he said some of them were in or near Kirkland Lake.

Look that one up on a map and you will see how far north it is.

·
User
31 Posts

Seems like a lot of jobs in Canada these days! Bring them to the US

1 - 20 of 20 Posts