Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up a Master Bath Remodel and my first shower pan ( thanks to some of you who have shown my the way) I ran into a few problems with Venting, elect, and so on.

Home owner wanted to have an open plan with better lighting- so this is what I came up with.

I demo for 2 days and start my framing/ (elect and plumbing done by others) dam vent stack came up thru the wall I need to clip....arrrrr

Studer vent fixed that issue!

I used a Kirdi shower kit with Ditra for the bathroom floor. ( nice and easy) Thanks Angus

One of the issues the h/o had with the bathroom was heating ( heater was at the end of the loop) and was very cold in the morning, we talked about under tile heat mat but replacement (if it ever went bad Oh well) So I came up with a Whisper Warm Vent/Fan/ Light that would replace the old one (needing a 20 amp circuit)

When I went into the attic to replace the fan I found out the dryer vent had disconnected from the roof vent and about an 1 1/2 dust mat had covered the whole area around it (duct tape strapping had let go.....who does that crap?)

Also a major moisture issue had caused a mold problem ( guys - NEVER vent into an enclosed space! )

The rest of the job went smoothly..... till the shower floor......The 12 x 12 Marble mating fell apart when wet from the tile saw....WTF....I had tiles fall off as I went to install them, now it turned into a mosaic tile floor and the dark 3/8 x 3/8 little dark tiles would not cooperate and stay in place when I cleaned for grout ( 3 days of screwing around till all stayed put)

I do not like the way she wanted the Tub tile done, I wanted to go up as high as the knee wall, but she is the customer and you know the rule!

Fire away guys.

Attachments

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have a 1/2 day after the H/o completes the painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Glass on the half wall or no? I like how you did the shower arm coming out of the ceiling. Was it to be able to not be as close to the wall/looking out into open space when facing the shower head?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glass on the half wall or no? I like how you did the shower arm coming out of the ceiling. Was it to be able to not be as close to the wall/looking out into open space when facing the shower head?
Having the half wall and then filled with glass allows a lot more light into the space.

With that being said I had two options for placing the shower head.... And that meant turning around staring at the wall which is an exterior wall and I was not going to put a diverter on an exterior wall..... I could have placed it on the middle wall which is a bedroom wall but that meant the shower head would be pointed at the glass door... That option I was not comfortable with knowing how much water was going to end up on the floor.

This the best option in my mind.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Having the half wall and then filled with glass allows a lot more light into the space.

With that being said I had two options for placing the shower head.... And that meant turning around staring at the wall which is an exterior wall and I was not going to put a diverter on an exterior wall..... I could have placed it on the middle wall which is a bedroom wall but that meant the shower head would be pointed at the glass door... That option I was not comfortable with knowing how much water was going to end up on the floor.

This the best option in my mind.
I agree that it was a good choice. I've just never seen it done and think that is very neat. Much nicer looking at the glass/rest of the bathroom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts