Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a project I'd like to build a 3' tall cmu wall and veneer it with cultured stone. Bedrock comes right out of the ground. We can not dig down for a footing. Is it possible to drill rebar into the rock and build right off the rock? This would mean no part of the retaining wall would be belowe grade.

·
Contractor
8,045 Posts
I would think the wall would be fine, but....

What will it be holding back?
What will be the spacing of the vertical rebar?
Will you be filling all the cells of the wall?
Have you had an engineer look at it?

I know you will do proper drainage behind the wall so that's not an issue.

Again, most likely it will be fine.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
A retaining wall for bed rock. Hmmm not sure I can see the point, but then again it sure beats watching paint dry.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I do it all the time, Drill into the bedrock infront of where the wall is supposed to be, 1' apart, install the rebar in the holes, cut longer then the height of the wall, build the form off this row of rebar. drill more inside the form for rebar, level the original form, fill full of concrete

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically on this property there was a huge bank that was cover in dirt looked bad. So we start clearing the dirt off. We were able to have exposed bedrock 5' tall in some areas. In other areas its only 2' tall. So now we have several feet of dirt we need to retain. I don't have finshed excavation pics but here is a pic from day 1.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.