Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Regarding the pot I stirred by mentioning the Huge contractor giving away perfectly good tools at end of job,let me say this. As in most things,it boils down to perspective and what works for one person,may not work for the next. This company I referenced ,at last count operates in 38 states and is expanding to International markets via a Great Lakes deep dock that is literally the gateway to the world. Does it really make much sense for them to box up a bunch of hand tools and ship them back to their base camp at the end of every job. For them to go from never doing road work in 1979 to the worlds largest bridge builder by 2013 they are not prone to making many false moves. They have been in business since 1898 ,they have had plenty of time to assess what business model does and does not work for them.

I do not feel it is appropriate for me to name other companies,however,if one is curious,google worlds largest bridge builder and the "mystery" company will appear .
You seem to imply that the company in question is U.S. based, when they're actually French. And I'm not sure a great lakes dock is their version of a Suez Canal to the world.

Anyway, semantics mode off... knew a couple of their mid level guys in the UK.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You seem to imply that the company in question is U.S. based, when they're actually French. And I'm not sure a great lakes dock is their version of a Suez Canal to the world.

Anyway, semantics mode off... knew a couple of their mid level guys in the UK.

Well,actually if one was to track the largest construction firms or bridge builders on any particular site on any given day,one will find they do not hold their position indefinitely. Their rankings leap frog from time to time.

Kind of like the richest guy in the world rank. Mr Gates holds the title and every once and a while,the guy from Mexico is said to be richer.

Aside from all that, the gist of the tool "give away" perspective is strictly too show not one size fits all.Different business models fit different companies.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well,actually if one was to track the largest construction firms or bridge builders on any particular site on any given day,one will find they do not hold their position indefinitely. Their rankings leap frog from time to time.

Kind of like the richest guy in the world rank. Mr Gates holds the title and every once and a while,the guy from Mexico is said to be richer.

Aside from all that, the gist of the tool "give away" perspective is strictly too show not one size fits all.Different business models fit different companies.
Ok... I'm talking about Vinci. They are and have been the largest construction firm, bridges included, for quite a while now.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
For the billion $ a year company, giving away tools that are deprecated out accounting wise allows them to buy and write off the tools for the next job.

Due to US and state tax law companies that replace all their "hand tools" are rewarded tax wise, and profit wise on cost plus contracts...use up a 1200.00 saw get cost plus 15%, you just earned 180.00$...free and clear.

I think your wife might have a few "power" tools around the bedroom.:whistling

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
I think your wife might have a few "power" tools around the bedroom.:whistling[/QUOTE]

those huge equipement auctions have been around forever....car and truck leasing is a small form of it....basic roll over staying ahead of the up keep.imo

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I'm still wondering which company fjn was talking about.

As I previously mentioned,the gist of my message is that there is not one size fits all business model for a company regarding their tool policy.

Some companies keep their tools in service until the paint is worn completely off. Other companies figure hand tools as totally disposable and write them off as a cost of business for each separate job.

There is not a one size fits all policy how tools are viewed by any given construction company. That is the long and short of it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As I previously mentioned,the gist of my message is that there is not one size fits all business model for a company regarding their tool policy.

Some companies keep their tools in service until the paint is worn completely off. Other companies figure hand tools as totally disposable and write them off as a cost of business for each separate job.

There is not a one size fits all policy how tools are viewed by any given construction company. That is the long and short of it.
I get all that and understand that different equipment retention procedures work better for different companies.

What I'm not sure about is why you're afraid to say which company you were talking about. I'm curious is all and interested to know what other mega construction companies there are out there that get a lot of bridge jobs.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I get all that and understand that different equipment retention procedures work better for different companies.

What I'm not sure about is why you're afraid to say which company you were talking about. I'm curious is all and interested to know what other mega construction companies there are out there that get a lot of bridge jobs.

As I had mentioned previously,I do not feel comfortable nor do I think it is appropriate to mention other peoples construction companies in an open forum.

If you search back through many years of threads on CT, I think you will notice it is the rarest of posts where a member specifically names another company by name. To me I think of it as professional ethics.

If you are adamant in knowing who they are,the best I will do is give you a few hints. They are Chicago based,and as I mentioned previously,they were established in 1898. With that,you should be able to figure it out without further disclosure from me.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
As an aside...I has a labe last year that went to an "alternative" elementary school. They did stuff like knitting instead of math, and as punishment had to untangle balls of yarn as detention/punishment. I could give him tangles and he'd have it all nicely wound in moments....

and that's about what he had going for him. He certainly didn't have any math skills

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
"It sank out of sight, write after it was....torpedoed.":jester:

61 - 75 of 75 Posts